A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Drove over a curb: damage and Clair's warning about A4 vulnerability

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-1999, 05:23 AM
Bill S.

Default Drove over a curb: damage and Clair's warning about A4 vulnerability

I scraped front end over a high curb while parking, then slowly backed off with no apparent problems. Later, I noticed that front bumper had been dislodged. Clair body shop said damage wasn't too bad compared to what they've seen in this type of mishap, and I was able to reseat the bumper myself with a little pushing.

Clair did say that because of the design of the black plastic protector underneath the front end, the A4 front bumper is particularly vulnerable to damage from going over a curb. As you back off the curb, apparently, you tend to twist the bumper backward, often requiring expensive bumper replacement. Word to the wise: if you go over a curb, be very careful backing off. If I had it to do over, I would try to lift the front end a bit while backing away.

One piece did rip loose, which I believe is the outside temperature sensor. I just fastened it to the bumper with twist ties so it wouldn't bounce around too much. Any better ideas?
Old 08-11-1999, 05:58 AM
Scared of curbs

Default I've heard this problem is *much* worse with the A6

nt
Old 08-11-1999, 06:03 AM
RTK

Default Re: Drove over a curb: damage and Clair's warning about A4 vulnerability

I actually did the same exact thing over one of those parking lot cement logs(?) Supposedly, the the lower black plastic valence on the front and rear are supposed to break away pretty easily to prevent extensive bumper damage. Its a lot cheaper to replace the black lower trim than a whole new bumper.
Old 08-11-1999, 06:08 AM
Cris

Default Not to pick on you, but naturally...

if you drive the front bumper up the curb, when you back out... you are going to scrape/pull that thing out! So, if you hear scraping noise when you pull in, don't bother getting out to inspect.... prepare yourself for it once more when you pull out, then check for damage. Sad truth.

Cris
Old 08-11-1999, 06:26 AM
J.Russ

Default Clearance is an issue, particularly with the sports package

Last February, I pulled over one of those portable parking curbs and hooked my bumper guard over a piece of rebar holding the curb in place. When I pulled out, the damn thing pulled the whole bumper guard off! Fortunately, I was able to replace it by hand and had the dealer do a more complete job later.

About a month ago, I absent-mindedly drove over a speed hump on my street (as opposed to a shorter, sharper parking lot speed bump) about 10 mph too fast and ruptured the oil pan. The combo of the A4's pronounced front overhang and the lowered sport suspension were the culprits in both these instances. (OK -- I was driving too fast for the speed hump.)

Anyway, I've learned to be cautious when it comes to raised obstacles in the path of my car!

J.Russ
98.5 2.8 Avant qMS
Old 08-11-1999, 09:50 AM
marmer

Default Re: Clearance is an issue, particularly with the sports package

This is exactly why I didn't get the sport package. I hate hanging up on parking stops and banging the undercarriage coming out of driveways. Thanks for the warning. My 99.5 Avant will be here any day and I'll be extra careful.

(Next Monday it'll have been six months wait on the order. On the water at the end of July, so I'm thinking any day because I live in Houston)
Old 08-11-1999, 10:21 AM
JMorrison

Default Sports pkg 20mm drop = 0.78"; stock clearance is 4.3' (fully loaded)

nt
Old 08-11-1999, 04:36 PM
Rich Quinlan

Default Guys, guys...

Maybe it's because I've been driving lowered cars my whole life, or I'm just extra attentive, but I hardly EVER scrape ANYTHING coming out of driveways, never hit anything fragile while going over speed bumps, and just don't pull into a parking space far enough to hit those concrete things. They're there to STOP YOU from driving into the store, not to tell you when to stop!

And my car is MUCH lower than any sports package car... All I'm saying is, pay a bit mroe attention, remember your car is not the family sedan it might appear to be, and you'll be fine! and take any sharp inclines at an angle!!

Rich
H&R coilovers and full body kit<ul><li><a href="http://home.att.net/~richquinlan">Quinland</a></li></ul>