A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Dunlop Sport 8000 - Discontinued??

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-1999, 04:11 PM
Phil G.

Default Dunlop Sport 8000 - Discontinued??

I am in the process of buying new tires for my 98.5 A42.8MQS, which came with the Dunlop SP8000s. I've gotten 42K miles, and would like to replace with same. Tire Rack has them in stock at $87, but my NTB dealer (who I'd prefer to buy from) says he can get, but that they've been discontinued, and if I need to replace one or more over the next year (til lease expires), it might be tough. Is he just trying to sell me something different or is there truth to this? Appreciate your input on this.

Phil G.
Philly Burbs
Old 10-09-1999, 04:24 PM
Your dealer's probably full of it....

Default Get on tirerack.com and e-mail this question to them (more)

Or try Dunloptire.com.
Old 10-09-1999, 04:26 PM
JohnO

Default If you have the sport wheels you want the SP8000E!...

There are two SP8000 models: the SP8000 and the SP8000E. The chief difference is that the E (Europeon) model has a special sidewall contour designed to protect the flange of "euroflange" wheels such as the old seven spoke sport wheel. Euroflange wheels do not have the common lip which is used to mount the balancing weights, instead sticker-weights are used. You should call Tire Rack and try to find these tires or another tire that has a sidewall that protects the flush flange. Frankly, I had never heard of this type of tire before I got my A4 with the sport pkg. I'll bet Michelin makes such a tire in their Pilot series.

Also, try searching the archives for SP8000E, there was a more informative post a while back that described the differences between the regular tire and the E model in greater detail.

Good Luck!

JohnO.
Old 10-09-1999, 04:49 PM
Phil G.

Default Re: Get on tirerack.com and e-mail this question to them (more)

Already done - awaiting response (which they say takes 7-14 days). I'll call them Monday.

Phil G.
Old 10-09-1999, 04:53 PM
Phil G.

Default Re: If you have the sport wheels you want the SP8000E!...

John,

I've checked the archives on just this question. In fact, I have the sport package, but my dealer switched the wheels to the 5 spoke when I bought the car (at no cost). Since I am going to keep the car for about another 12 months (lease expires), I don't want to spend a fortune on tires, but I don't want to completely sacrifice performance and safety either. Any other suggestions? I think my local dealer is trying the old bait 'n switch....

Phil G.
Old 10-09-1999, 05:08 PM
donp

Default sp8000 and 8000e info

The 8000 and 8000E cannot be mixed. I spoke to dunlop about this last year.

Some info:

http://donp.tzo.com/info/sp8k/sp8kdiff.htm<ul><li><a href="http://donp.tzo.com/info/sp8k/sp8kdiff.htm">SP8000 info</a></li></ul>
Old 10-09-1999, 05:11 PM
JohnO

Default Phil, I have a solution...

Get Bridgestone Potenza RE71s. They are very close in specification to the SP8000. In fact they are considerably better in the dry, and at least as good in the wet. The SP800 was actually developed as a response to the success of the RE71. It is an excellent tire.

I was surfing Tire Rack's site last night and I see that these tires are still available. They are not Bridgestone's newest and bestest model so they are relatively inexpensive as performance tires go.

I have also heard good things about Pirelli 7000s but I have no personal experience with them.

BFGoodrich may have a comparable tire at a similar price. BFGoodrich is a subisidiary of Michelin and I hear that their performance tires are pretty good.

Finally, you may also want to check into Discount Tire/America's Tire. They have similar prices as Tire Rack but they also have dealers who make it convenient to mount the tires you order.

JohnO
Old 10-09-1999, 10:01 PM
Brian M

Default Discontinued through NTB...

I've had this problem with NTB before. Dunlop is not discontinuing the sp8000. NTB just no longer stocks them in their warehouse. They are a special order item through NTB and have been for about 2 years. They told me this 2 years ago when I wanted to by a set for my '95 Miata. I was told that NTB figured they couldn't sell enough of them to keep them in stock. Because of this, NTB's price on the sp8000 is going to be higher than through Tirerack. Tirerack still stocks and deals sp8000's and will probably continue to do so.
Old 10-10-1999, 06:27 AM
Phil G.

Default Re: Phil, I have a solution...

John, good suggestions. NTB can get the tires for $100 v. Tire Rack @ $87. Comparatively, they would cost $371 plus mounting/balancing ($15-20 per tire), v. a total of $485 for set of 4 mounted and balanced at NTB. There's probably a $40 spread when all is said and done.

I'll look into the Potenza and Pirellis. Thanks.

Phil