A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

EBC won't stop building boost....Greddy Users Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EBC won't stop building boost....Greddy Users Please help!

So, after finally getting my EPC and CEL issue figured out (had severe intake, vacuum, and exhaust leaks ), I now have an entirely new problem....My Greddy Profec B Spec II will not stop building boost. The unit is fully functional, as it was JUST serviced by a Greddy customer service tech. Bought a new solenoid and harness, so everything is in tip top shape. I hooked up the COM port to the WG, and the NO port to a brass nipple that is welded into my intercooler pipe right off the turbo.

Now, my initial plan was to run 15psi on low boost and 18psi on high boost (don't wanna blow my motor). So I put SET to 30%, GAIN to 5%, and i set the limit at 1.03 for low boost and 1.04 at high boost. But, whenever I drive WOT, the wastegate opens up ALL the way, boosting the car WAY over 20psi for only an instant. Whenever this happens, I IMMEDIATELY back off the throttle. So, whenever I accelerate, the solenoid valve opens up 100%, leaving the turbo to boost as much as it desires at WOT......So, I'm not sure if I've set it up improperly, or if something is wrong with either my settings or the unit itself.

I can provide pictures of how i've got it set up, or I can explain further about how I've got things wired, but I DO think that I've got it correct, according to the instruction manual. So, if anyone out there has any suggestions PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE send em my way, because I really wanna get this thing running so I can do some logs. Thanks
Old 09-01-2008, 04:25 PM
WJM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ummm

if your wastegate is closed = Build boost

so basically what is happening now is the is set too high and the wastegate isn't opening to reach the pressure you are looking for....

so turn down the boost setting
then try the gain at 15%
then turn up the boost
Old 09-01-2008, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Turned the boost setting down really far and I still get the problem....no matter what my settings

are, the turbo still continues to build boost without any limitations. I'm thinking my wastegate might be done.....can anyone confirm this for me?
Old 09-02-2008, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Did you remove the plastic cap on the unused NC port?

What sort of boost do you see with the profec off and just running off the wastegate?

You're a boston guy right, I kinda remember your name from BAG. If it's still not working correctly, I can try to help you out in person. I used to use a Profec Spec II
Old 09-02-2008, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks for the help, but the problem isn't with the EBC.....My wastegate completely shat itself, so

now I've gotta give ATP a call......I almost feel like buying a new turbo, because the whole thing is suspect......Never buying used turbos again
Old 09-03-2008, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

How is a broken wastegate keeping itself closed? Is it welded shut?
Old 09-03-2008, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Nope, its not welded shut, but...

what I was told is that when the wastegate is closed, the turbo builds boost. So, by it not opening when it's fed pressure, the wastegate flap on the exhaust side stays closed, and the turbo builds full, uninhibited boost. When I removed the wastegate off the turbo, I fed it up to 20psi, and it doesn't move. So, I bought a new one. Hopefully that works
Old 09-03-2008, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default which turbo do you have? I have an off the shelf, ATP GT28RS and I get about 13 psi

by turning off my profect B (oldser style). So the wastegate pressure is set to 13 psi. I know when I ran an APR GT28R, the wastegate was set to about 8-9 psi. If you are making boost with the boost controller off, you have a wastegate problem. I don't think the spec b does anything when the control unit is shut off, but if you want to be really sure, just connect the boost source on the compressor to the wastegate and you should see what the wastegate spring is set to. I'm pretty sure other with ATP turbo have had to make wastegate rod adjustments, your issue might be as simple as that.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Yea...I tried hooking up a boost pressure source to the WG and

I still boosted to over 20psi, which is just not right, since the WG is supposed to be rated at 10psi....The EBC itself works perfectly. I test the solenoid to a 12v source and it clicked, and the controller itself is brand new....The wastegate is the only part in the equation that is not performing like it should when its tested....So, for now, I'm buying a new wastegate to see if that'll fix my issue....If it works, great, but I'll soon be looking for an internally gated GT3071r and throwing in rods
Old 09-03-2008, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default your wastegate might just need proper adjustment. I wouldn't replace it just yet

See if ATP can test it and adjust it, or maybe contact a Garrett distributor. Otherwise, APR might be able to help you out for a fee. In fact, if you are just going to buy a new wastegate, might as well buy the APR version and have them install can calibrate it for you so you know it's done right. I'm not sure they will do it for you, but if I were going to spend my money, I would try them first. Good luck.