A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

ECT sensor prob. 2001.5 AWM 1.8t

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECT sensor prob. 2001.5 AWM 1.8t

_____ Hey guys. Just wondering if anyone has had trouble with this sensor after reinstalling. I just replaced the Engine Coolant Temp sensor and now when the system is under pressure it leaks out around the body of the sensor. I had oem green unit. Picked up another one identical to the stock piece along with a new O-ring. For some reason it leaks under pressure. Did I somehow miss something? The sensor has some 'play' in it (I can wiggle it around a bit as opposed to being fixed rigidly in place)after the clip is reinstalled.

_____ Sadly, I dont have another A4 to check if it should. This does not seem right to me, but I have tried multiple times to extract and reseat it, each time reaching the point that i can't push it in any farther which is when I insert the clip.

_____ The clip rests over the "lip" on the top around the gren plastic. I'm not pushing it in-between the o-ring and brass seat area. The clip goes in all the way along the slot tracks on the sides and I can feel the clip engage the body of the sensor just the same as it would when I test it on the old sensor unit outside of the engine compartment. I'm pretty sure (99%)the clip is not deformed (it is plastic though).

_____ The O-ring is the same size as the stock piece I removed and snuggly slips over the sensor body's brass area. I'm really thrown for a loop to say the least (actually pissed is more like it) because I'm very mechanical. This seems to be about the easiest thing to replace except for the location being obstructed (back of engine block on cam adjuster adjacent to the combi-valve). I,ve been playing with these cars for almost 4 years. This is my second 2001.5 A4 and I do a lot of my own work

_____ SOMEBODY tell me what the hell I'm missing so I can stop obssessing over this damn thing. Is there another piece that fits in along with the sensor that is not rec'd for replacemnet with these new parts? I can't see anything on the factory diags or in the alldata website. If nothing else tell me I'm not the only person that this has happened to... my pride is at risk here.

_____ Thanks in advance
Old 08-06-2005, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

paragraphs are you friend. I can't even read that