A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Eibach, Boge, Bilstein...

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2003, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eibach, Boge, Bilstein...

I'm looking to eventually take my 98.5 A4 2.8Q (without the sport suspension) down from off-road land and I'd prefer to keep as comfortable a ride as I can. I'm not looking for much in the way of handling improvement (the car handles quite well IMO, and it's a daily driver and commuter car). It's looking like the Eibach Pro-Kit will be the best way to lower the car while keeping a comfortable ride. Any opinions?

It also seems like I'm best off replacing my shocks at the same time. The car has 60k+ miles anyway, and concensus seems to be that any lowering springs will wear my shocks out quickly. What would be the best way to go for a shock set that's compatible with lowering springs but will also maintain the softest and most comfortable ride possible? Eibach naturally says their Pro-Kit shocks are the most compatible, and everyone seems to love Bilteins, but I'm concerned either might be a little too firm for what I want. The Boge Turbo shocks are reasonable, but I don't think they're any more compatible with lowering springs than my OEM ones. Any opinions here?

Thanks for any thoughts guys!
Old 12-24-2003, 07:20 AM

Default i used stock sport shocks with euro-sport springs

the stock sport shocks are getting a little worn out now- rides quite bouncy- if i wasn't selling car i'd get some bilstein shocks and keep the eurosport springs on there- eurosports= eibachs that are redone for european audi's "sport" suspension...
Old 12-24-2003, 07:22 AM

Default I have the Eibach Pro-Kit and Bilsteins.

Ride is firm (much firmer than you're going to be used to) but not too harsh. Stay away from race springs and race shocks as that will probably be too firm for your liking, but you should definately do Shocks and Springs at the same time.

Eibachs are not the most popular here, but I have no regrets.
Old 12-24-2003, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Your have several options... however, typically the lower you go...

the harsher the ride to keep the car from completely bottoming out. An inexpensive way to to get some used OEM 2.8 sport springs with Bilsteins. Boge are nice, they are the OE shock but peole have better luck with the Bilsteins. The Eibach kit is very nice supple ride (softer than H&R), but lowers the car alot more, and you cna only really used Eibacjh springs matched with theri shocks.
Old 12-24-2003, 07:24 AM

Default That's not true.

"you cna only really used Eibacjh springs matched with theri shocks."

I have Eibach springs and Bilstein shocks matched up. Work just fine.
Old 12-24-2003, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Expert

No complaints here. I have Bilsteins.
Old 12-24-2003, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Eibach recommends that you only use their shocks w/their spings
Old 12-24-2003, 07:34 AM

Default Marketing.

You think they're going to recommend using Neuspeed? Vogtland?

"Don't buy ours, add to someone else's bottom line."

Btw, not arguing with you, just stating that you don't HAVE to match components. There may be some advantages, but it's not an absolute necessity.
Old 12-24-2003, 07:35 AM
Former Vendor

Default Thoughts..

The shocks provided by Eibach are made by Sachs, which also makes the Boge shocks. The designs between the two are nearly identical.

The Bilsteins are a monotube design, which by nature will be a bit less comfortable than a comparable twin tube design.

I'd suggest avoiding the Bilstein, and going with a low pressure hydraulic shock like the Koni or Sach shock. The compression damping will be considerably more comfortable than the Bilstein, yet they'll have enough rebound damping to handle just about any lowering spring you want to use.

While the Eibachs are relatively soft, it's not necessarily the spring rate that determines your ride comfort it's the shocks. We've had excellent results with the Vogtland/Koni combination, which provide a ride superior to stock, yet just as comfortable.

Feel free to email if you have any questions.
Old 12-24-2003, 07:35 AM

audi recommends only using audi components....marketing=)

Quick Reply: Eibach, Boge, Bilstein...