A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Eibach Eurosports on non-sport springs ... thoughts and suggestions please ... (more)

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2000, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eibach Eurosports on non-sport springs ... thoughts and suggestions please ... (more)

I have just recieved my new (slightly used) Eibach Eurosports (thanks Dave) and have the non-sport package. i can get them installed for $100 Cdn, thats about $60 US. My non-sport shocks are about 9000 miles old. I know Bilsteins are the way to go but there is no way until the spring for me. With my shocks being so new, knowing that I will look at new shocks in the spring/summer next year whats my downside? ride characteristics? The install is soo cheap that paying that twice doesn't bother me, its just the ride that I worry about. I could care less if the non-sports are useless next year when I do eventually replace them. TIA
Old 12-07-2000, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default if you promise to get Bilstein's in the spring, then go ahead and do it. I ran Eurosports on....

non-sport shocks for a good six months. Let's just say that the ride was not very good, but it's manageable for the short term. When I had my bilsteins installed last month, I was just shocked at what a difference a set of good sport shocks make. You'll see what I mean if you install the springs now and then install sport shocks next spring.
Old 12-07-2000, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

whats not very good mean for the ride? better than stock non-sport?
Old 12-07-2000, 12:36 PM

Default Koni's are much nicer than Bilstein's...however my friend has a sedan and I have an Avant..so maybe

a difference..but the Koni's with my Eurosport springs feel really good...sporty but maintain the luxury feel...also I have a 2.8..so outcomes may very. They are a little more expensive but not too much.
Old 12-07-2000, 12:37 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default No, worse.

The problem is that the factory shocks are being mated with a spring with a higher spring rate than they were designed to handle. Initially they will cope okay (you may have some bounciness in your ride). As they wear (fast), you will notice that effect getting worse. The bounciness will result in an uncontrolled ride quality. As Raj mentions, you will not complain at first, and as the effect gets worse, you will still not notice it...you will probably find yourself slowly adjusting your driving style to compensate for the poor handling qualities of the car. When you upgrade your shocks, you will notice that the new shocks have very good control of the spring, and then you will see that roads you used to drive at 35 mph, you can now take at 55 and still feel the same level of control.

This is the best way I can put this into words. It seems you are dead set against hearing what is better and worse. In my mind, ANY shock/spring combo that was not mated for one another is worse than the factory ride qualities. Others may disagree with me here.
Old 12-07-2000, 12:39 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Ignore this sentence...

"As they wear (fast), you will notice that effect getting worse"...I meant to cut that out. My point is that it will get worse, and you probably won't notice it...
Old 12-07-2000, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

no. your ride quality will without a doubt worsen. You'll feel every bump and you'll "pogo" a bit
Old 12-07-2000, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Oh I know this is worse than using aftermarket shocks (more)

but I simply can't afford the new shocks now. So my choice is to buy used sport shocks or wait until the spring, with my 4X4 ride look, and get Bilsteins (ok maybe Koni). I just hate having new toys (Eibachs arrived today) and not using them. Buying sport shocks seems like a temporary substitute and therefore a waste of money as I will still want new shocks later on.
Old 12-07-2000, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default TRUST ME: Having done my springs & shocks separately, wait until you can afford the shocks! (m)

I know it'll be really hard, that's why I put my springs on first and shocks later, but the ride with sport springs and stock shocks, especially non-sport, will VERY rapidly degrade to an almost unbearable quality.
Old 12-07-2000, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Hey Troy! Did u get my email? This weekend still good for you?

Quick Reply: Eibach Eurosports on non-sport springs ... thoughts and suggestions please ... (more)