A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Eibach ProKits + Bilsteins + 17x7.5 ET35 +225/45-17 = Front tires hitting fenders!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2001, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eibach ProKits + Bilsteins + 17x7.5 ET35 +225/45-17 = Front tires hitting fenders!

Some of you may have seen my post a few days ago as well as read the experiences of a few others. I really want to warn people of going with the above-mentioned setup. It would look to be a very conservative and safe setup given the manufactureres involved and the wheel/tire size - but it does NOT work. My tires are hitting the fender on hard turns.

The primary culprit IMO are the Pro-kit springs. They clearly drop the front end very low and then allow enough travel for the wheels to hit. Now in fairness to Eibach, two other factors do contribute to the problem - wheel width/offset and the Bilstein Sport shocks. The ET35 wheel offset and width, although standard for aftermarket wheels, do push the wheel profile closer to the fender. Also the extra 1/2 inch of wheel width (7" vs 7.5) also reduces the clearance. The Bilstein Sport shocks are not adjustable in the front. I m told that Bilstein does sell a custom adjustable front shock through Neuspeed which would allow me to raise the front by increments of 10mm. This would reduce the likelihood of rubbing but since the springs compression rate does not change, it would still be possible to rub in hard corners.

So now that I have this setup and paid for the install, I need to make some changes. I have a few options:

- Try a new Spring (e.g., H&R, Intrax or Eibach EuroSport)
- Roll the fenders - I'm not sure this can be done) >
-Buy a set of Neuspeed Adjustable Shocks which would allow me to raise the front by 10mm - 20mm.
- If the Pro-kits dropped my car by more than 1.4", than they may do something to help fix the situation. They
said that because I am using a non-stock wheel offset, they cannot be responsible for the rubbing - BUT, if
the car dropped more than the advertised 1.4", than the springs may be designed improperly. This seems
weird - especially if I can Alter the drop using the Neuspeed adjustable Bilsteins....

The worst part is that it looks llike I'll be out at leat a few hundred dollars just to undo what was supposed to
be an UPGRADE!. Any other suggestions?

Chris
Old 05-16-2001, 05:54 AM
Elder Member

Roll or have the fenders rolled, it can be done. I did it.
Old 05-16-2001, 05:58 AM

I have factory shocks with Eibach Pro-Kit and they rub too---but barely on full turns
Old 05-16-2001, 06:01 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Chris, I forgot to ask you...is the tire touching metal, or just the plastic wheel well liner?

Mine is just touching plastic, but I'm not driving the car aggressively until I can do something to address the problem (H&R sports). If there still proves to be a problem, then I'll consider rolling my fenders. As for the adjustable Bilsteins...for my own part, I can bring myself to spend money on a new set of shocks if they aren't absolutely necessary.

Maybe you should find someone local with H&R sports and regular bilsteins, and go for a drive? This might help you make up your mind...seeing is believing I guess.

Don't bother with the Eurosports. There is still some debate, but there is a good likelihood that they are the same as the ProKits.
Old 05-16-2001, 06:05 AM

Does this mean Eurosports + Bilstein would have the same effect. I have 17x8 et35...225/45
Old 05-16-2001, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

No rubbing here. I'm still running the pro-kits with stock non-sport shocks.
Old 05-16-2001, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Mostly the liner but the tire does catch the inner lip...

even took a small piece of my tire off!

I am leaning towards the H&Rs. I've seen a bunch of Eiback Eurosports and all do not have a drop anywhere near the Pro-Kits. I've seen the debates - but upon visual inspection these do NOT appear to be the same spring.

Chris
Old 05-16-2001, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Expert

I have EuroSport/OEM Sport Shocks, 17x7.5et38 with NO rubbing. The ET might make a difference.
Old 05-16-2001, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It is my opinion that ProKits are NOT the same as Eurosports

I've seen both and the drop on the Prokits is much more dramatic in the front.
Old 05-16-2001, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The Bilstein Sports are designed for shorter springs and therefore probably contribute

to the problem...

Quick Reply: Eibach ProKits + Bilsteins + 17x7.5 ET35 +225/45-17 = Front tires hitting fenders!