A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Engine life

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-1999, 02:07 PM
Zsan

Default Engine life

I know that the topic of Chips have been discussed almost to complete boredem, but I have to bring up a few questions. First of all, it is said that chipping will Most Likely reduce your car's engine life. This hasn't been proven since the A4s are still relatively new. But in general I feel like the consensus is that a car will last longer without chipping it. here's my question: If chipping your car tunes it better and makes it more efficient (gas mileage etc...) why would this cause reliability to go down?

My second question is in regards to getting a 1.0 bar chip in Southern Arizona where the summers are in the 100's. Here in Southern Arizona we do not have Octane Higher than 92. Would that be sufficient to run a 1.0 bar chip such as the Garrett or Wett or APR in 100 degree weather without pinging? Does anyone know how I can get in touch with Garrett?

Thanks

Michael
Old 09-18-1999, 02:36 PM
Rodney

Default Re: Engine life

Any time you ask for more power from the engine, you stress it more (ie. higher temps from spinning the turbo faster and pushing more gas through the exhaust manifold, increased forces on various parts from producing more torque, etc.). But, how much more stress, and how detrimental is hard to say.

As for your other questions, your best bet is to try to find a shop that can do the work locally (no down time, they're familiar with the conditions in the area, and they can correct any problems like pinging on the spot). Otherwise, contact the individual tuners and speak with them directly, explain your situation. That way, if fine tuning is needed, you will already know who to talk to and how it will be handled.

For contacting Garrett, just go to his site, via the links page, and email him.

Regards,
Rodney

'99 A4 1.8tqms
Old 09-18-1999, 04:56 PM
Zsan

Thanks for the quick response and suggestion. I have emailed garrett and hopefully will get a response if he isn't busy.
Old 09-18-1999, 10:48 PM
Digger

Zsan,
I tried three different chips before I found the one the worked for me wthout pinging here in Tucson (the AutoThority 0.8 Bar). Its just my opinion, but the AutoThority offers the best performance gain at 0.8 Bar and doesn't ping for my car. Your results may differ.
Old 09-20-1999, 03:53 AM
Zsolt

Default IMO (not H) about engine longevity

Couple of things. A properly maintained (synthetic oil etc) chipped engine will last longer than a neglected stock. (Remember, Audi already chipped the 1.8T to 180hp w/o other mods.)

Today's engines will outlast the car and your desire to keep the car. In other words, these engines will run at least 200,000+ miles with maintenance, chipped or not, so do you really care about engine longevity?

The 1.8 engine is one of the most bullet proof items in this universe. Now the T may not be, but worst case you upgrade to a K04, is that so bad?