A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Engine not starting

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine not starting

Hello, I just found this site and really hope someone can help me.

In summary, my trusty 2000 A4 has decided today to give me some problems. I left work for lunch, parked the car, and when I returned it wouldn't start, just rapid clicking and rapid indicator light flashing.

When the engine didnt turn I noticed that the "Press Clutch to Start" display message and some of the other indicator lights were off. Normally it is on when the key is in. Upon trying to start the car again some of these lights came on but flashed while something else was clicking rapidly. I took the key out, waited a few minutes, and tried again. Still just a lot of clicking. I waited then tried again, this time when I put the key in all the lights, guages, and display were completely on. I tried again and it still wouldn't start. Frusrated, I waited a few more minutes, then tried again and the engine fired right up like nothing had happened.

I got home and parked the car, happy that I didn't have tow it. Thinking it was just a fluke, I tried to start the car again, and same symptoms. Now it won't start.

I would love if anyone can help me troubleshoot this. I am thinking it could be the starter but would that cause such strange dash light activity?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default how are your battery terminals? Clean and tight? Start simple.

low batteries tend to cause ticking in the starter when there is not enough juice to crank the car. Poor connections will also cause this and other strange things.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:56 PM

Default Re: how are your battery terminals? Clean and tight? Start simple.

Yes, I just checked and the battery is tight and clean.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:56 PM

Default You need to replace your battery ...

most likely
Old 10-12-2007, 02:12 PM

Default Re: You need to replace your battery ...

Freakness, thank you for the response. I am curious how you can quickly rule out starter or other problem so simply? Either way, I hope your right! Thanks again.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

change the subject line at least...sheesh
Old 10-12-2007, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default the clicking. dead starters tend to lock up and make no noise. Take the battery out

if you can't get it running and have it load tested at autozone or sears.
Make certain that the cables are okay at all ends.. It's just kinda strange that the thing did eventually kick over for you. Sometimes if you let a low battery sit for a while, it will work again but you'll hear it struggle to crank.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:25 PM

Default Will try replacement battery

Ok, I will try the battery and get back to you. I think it is strange too that it eventually kicked on. It wasn't sluggish at all when it did work, it just fired up. Am I correct in that I shouldn't jump start this car by pushing it?
Old 10-12-2007, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default if it's stick and will roll, I do it. Have the batt tested before you replace it. Most places will

do it for free. Still not sure that that's the issue but it's the easiest and possibly cheapest thing to check / replace.
I'd sooner remove the battery and drive it over in another car for diagnosis. If for some reason that it's fine and you have some kind of other electrical issue, you won't be stranded.
I've compression started (push-started) my audi a few times without issue.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:29 PM

Default The symptoms you described are EXACTLY that of a dying battery...

A good/ok battery will charge overnight on a trickle charger then hold a healthy charge allowing you to use the car normally.

A dying battery can be charged but not enough to turn over the starter. If it's on it's way out then it'll work for a short while but then one day.....click, click, click, of the starter. How old is the battery in the car? If it's the original battery then it probably should have been replaced a couple of years ago as part of preventative maintenance.

This SHOULD be a simple solution for you...

Good luck...

Quick Reply: Engine not starting