A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Engine Seized?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 09:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Seized?

So I was driving home yesterday my oil light came on when I was a half hour out of town so I checked it and saw it was high so I stopped at the closest oil change shop and had them remove what it needed. I checked the oil as I left and it was at the proper level but the light was still on and blinking and dinging and making all type of a ruckus so I wrote it off as the code had to be cleared and i was good to drive the 30 minute drive home 10 miles into the trip my car starts sounding louder than normal (my cam chain tensioner made noise and new one got here today a day too late I'd say) but then after a very short time the whole engine stopped shut off and I pulled over and got it towed home. I got it home I

- dissemble the engine I removed the valve cover and the first thing i noticed is plastic debris near the cam tensioner (I imagine to be the lower tensioner shim)
- next I removed the spark plugs nothing huge but I noticed the plug in cylinder 1 looked a little different maybe a little hotter? nothing i thought was horrible)
- next I made use of a little camera probe thing and stuck it down into the spark plug wholes it wasent quite small enough to fit but it did have a light so it showed me a little of what was visible through the hole there was nothing shrapnel wise visible and the pistons appeared to be still wet (idk if wet would be the word u could see that it was moist around edges)
- Next i removed the service panel and found that the timing belt was very loose ( i dont know anything about audis or vw as this was my first attempt at one and from the day it blew up was almost a week)
- I tried turning the motor by the crank SOLID AS HELL sprayed some rust penetrating oil stuff let sit for a day......still STUCK!!

so seeing how I know nothing about these cars I'm pretty stuck my next move is to remove the head but today realized how cool it is that you have to order that stupid head stud removal tool so I'm at a stand still till that comes in the mail.

sorry this post is getting pretty long

ok so i have been on the forums doing A TON of research at first I thought the cam chain tensioner debris clogged up an oil line and hence seized my engine which might make since for oil light and having plenty of oil but after reading more I found cases where the timing belt skipped and seized the motor so my question do you thing the cam chain tensioner is unrelated and the timing belt skipped and piston vs valve action happened?

*****where do I go from here is the engine salvageable
***********does any one wanna buy a brand new cam chain, Tensioner, gasket, and VC gasket
Attached Images    
Old 05-02-2013, 11:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

The flashing oil light and chimes means stop driving. It doesn't mean try to get home (lol). Stop the teardown, you most assuredly spun a bearing and seized the bottom end solid. You will be needing a new shortblock at the very least.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:57 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by ddillenger
The flashing oil light and chimes means stop driving. It doesn't mean try to get home (lol). Stop the teardown, you most assuredly spun a bearing and seized the bottom end solid. You will be needing a new shortblock at the very least.
Concur with the diagnosis, but I'd say the long block is trashed. Without oil, the cam bearings die a quick death.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 284 Likes on 216 Posts

I'm amazed how many people keep driving their car after getting the oil warning. It's beeping like crazy for a good reason. At least the last guy miraculously got away with it some how.

That warning means you have ZERO oil pressure and STOP DRIVING NOW!
Old 05-03-2013, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default You spent $$ and time having oil removed when you had a low pressure warning light.

OMFG!

Parts car!!

Last edited by AudiMick; 05-03-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by AudiMick
OMFG!

Parts car!!
+1 engine is trash (but he still has 4 good spark plugs. )
Old 05-04-2013, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

**** thats what I kinda figured and like I said I'm new to audi the light went off and I did stop driving and checked oil and it was over and I immediately went and removed some till it was the right amount I dont know seemed logical at the time but do you think the tensioner had to do with the belt? I stil dont quite understand 100% what caused it. idk this may sound like a stupid question but did the clogged oil line cause the belt to jump or how did that happen do you think the light and broken tensioner makes since I just dont understand where the belt came into play also I'm waiting for that special head stud tool to come in the mail and havent had a chance to pull of the head but do you think the head is alright? I'm kinda thinking just replace new motor i found new one for 1500$ with 78k is this a good price idk what its worth but it says one year warranty if i do buy this engine would you recommend freshening it up before i put it in i was thinking some ARP headstuds head and vc gaskets?
Old 05-05-2013, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by bunton608
**** thats what I kinda figured and like I said I'm new to audi the light went off and I did stop driving and checked oil and it was over and I immediately went and removed some till it was the right amount I dont know seemed logical at the time but do you think the tensioner had to do with the belt? I stil dont quite understand 100% what caused it. idk this may sound like a stupid question but did the clogged oil line cause the belt to jump or how did that happen do you think the light and broken tensioner makes since I just dont understand where the belt came into play also I'm waiting for that special head stud tool to come in the mail and havent had a chance to pull of the head but do you think the head is alright? I'm kinda thinking just replace new motor i found new one for 1500$ with 78k is this a good price idk what its worth but it says one year warranty if i do buy this engine would you recommend freshening it up before i put it in i was thinking some ARP headstuds head and vc gaskets?
2 things. Your timing may be perfect but it doesn't matter since the rest of the engine is most likely trash. Oh, and punctuation would make your posts easier to read.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure the new motor is for the same transmission type. The crankshafts don't match.

Unless the supplier has already replaced it, of course do the timing belt service before you swap it out.

A 75K engine might not have had it done.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

just be sure the engine codes match is all you need to do....