A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Engine Stall and Low Speeds

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Stall and Low Speeds

I have a 98 30V 2.8L and have been working a persistent and somewhat peculiar stall problem. Once the car is warmed up and you are coming to a stop the engine will occasionally stall, particularly when making a left turn (strange I know...).

The condition improved after I cleaned the throttle body, but unfortunately was not eliminated. Now I'm wondering if it could be the coolant temp sensor. The temp indicator in the instrument cluster seems to work just fine. Can these senors develop an intermittent condition that cannot be seen in the gage?

Don
Old 01-05-2007, 09:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A comment...

When is the last time you changed the fuel filter? If your car has over 60k on it, then coolant sensors should be replaced anyway(cheap insurance). Audi updated the one behind the end which can make a big difference towards mpg and idle. Those sensors will only cycle so many times.
The problem you mention can also indicate power steering issues but I would check the above mentioned items. Its also worth hooking up a VAG com to check some of the running values.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:53 PM

Default Re: A comment...

The fuel filter has recently been replaced. I have look at the VAG values and they seem to be OK, though I'm not an expert in this area. I think I'll run over to my local euro parts store tomorrow and get a temp sensor to try out. Like you said, they are not that expensive.

Thanks!
Old 01-05-2007, 10:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: A comment...

Save the values in file format and compare them to the factory specs out of the manual and or cd rom. You might consider just getting the sensors from the dealer, you'll get the most recently updated versions. They are only about $25 for the both of them. Its also worth getting fresh o-rings and gaskets. If you reuse the old ones they tend to leak.
Its also worth checking if your steering is binding up(is it harder to move in one direction, firm up then get easy to move, does it creak or make noise when you move the steering wheel, etc.). You get the idea. If the rack binds up , or the pump gets stressed and seizes from time to time, it can cause the idle to stumble or die.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:18 AM

Default Does it stall at idle?

You said that it stalls when you are coming to a stop at a light.

Also, when does it stall when you are making a left turn? Does it stall after the car is moving and you are turning? When waiting to turn?
Old 01-06-2007, 08:11 PM

Default Re: Does it stall at idle?

It usually stalls as it is coming to a stop. It typically doesn't stall once it has stopped or when it is coasting at speeds greater than ~15MPH.

I stopped by one of the local dealers today and picked up a new water temp sensor. I'll be trying that out tomorrow. It will take several days to see if the sensor is the answer. Using the car daily it will stall maybe once or twice per week. The frustrating thing about it is that the power steering shuts down just about when your going to make a turn into say a parking lot or at an intersection.

Don