A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

engine suddenly stalled

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine suddenly stalled

Hi, my 2000 A4 1.8t suddenly stalled on me the other and i have no idea why. I checked all belts, everything seems normal. However, what i remember happening before my engine stalled was that it was giving out a weird sound. It sounded more like a loud diesel engine then while i was driving, the engine just died down. When i went home, i tried my ODB2 scanner (memoscan) to see any errors, and it gave me a few. Unfortunately, i cant find the book where the errors are listed. Any ideas what could have caused the engine to just stalled? There was no sound when the engine stalled, it just stopped, that's it.

Errors where: 4196, 4148, 414d, 44ed, 4547, 4545, 44ef, 4546, 44fo, 44ee (whew! so many!)

ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!
Old 02-05-2011, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know what those numbers are, but they are not standard codes.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your fuel pump. Same problem happened to me - car sputtered for a block and a half and then stopped. Fuel pump is accessed under the right rear seat IIRC.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by berdugo
Hi, my 2000 A4 1.8t suddenly stalled on me the other and i have no idea why. I checked all belts, everything seems normal. However, what i remember happening before my engine stalled was that it was giving out a weird sound. It sounded more like a loud diesel engine then while i was driving, the engine just died down. When i went home, i tried my ODB2 scanner (memoscan) to see any errors, and it gave me a few. Unfortunately, i cant find the book where the errors are listed. Any ideas what could have caused the engine to just stalled? There was no sound when the engine stalled, it just stopped, that's it.

Errors where: 4196, 4148, 414d, 44ed, 4547, 4545, 44ef, 4546, 44fo, 44ee (whew! so many!)

ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!
One of the ECU fuses is blown. Usually occurs when a coil goes bad.

Also your codes are in HEX form. (****ty scanner)

4196 = 16790 secondary air injection
4148 = 16712 knock sensor 1
414d = 16716 knock sensor 2
44ed = 17645 cyl 1 fuel injector open

etc

ALL these codes are because of 1 fuse. I had the EXACCCCCCT same problem on a gti 1.8t today. It was a bad contact on a fuse. After taking them all out and putting them back in, problem dissapeared.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

thank you! sorry, where can i check the fuses? i'm sorry, i'm just not that good with cars yet. lol is there just one panel for all the fuses? I checked the one in the side of the front panel, is there any other places to see fuses? thank you!
Old 04-12-2011, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by berdugo
thank you! sorry, where can i check the fuses? i'm sorry, i'm just not that good with cars yet. lol is there just one panel for all the fuses? I checked the one in the side of the front panel, is there any other places to see fuses? thank you!
My first guess definitely wouldn't be a fuse but I'm not going to **** on someone elses advice when they site an exact experience. However, fuses are located on the side of the dash. Its accessible with the door open and by a little panel that pops off the side. You can't miss it if you open the door. Also, there are relays in the black plastic box under the hood
Old 04-18-2011, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by xsrfsno225x
My first guess definitely wouldn't be a fuse but I'm not going to **** on someone elses advice when they site an exact experience. However, fuses are located on the side of the dash. Its accessible with the door open and by a little panel that pops off the side. You can't miss it if you open the door. Also, there are relays in the black plastic box under the hood
I checked all the fuses already, and they all seem fine. I haven't checked the relay yet. But over the weekend, we checked the harness of the injectors to see if there's some electricity going in, and the volt meter said there was 7 volts when i cranked the engine. I think my next step is to check if there's gas coming out of the injectors already. What do you guys think? thanks!
Old 04-18-2011, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

if you had the "rattle sound that is a sign of the timing Chain. the tensioner may have failed and you could very easily have bent valves, you will need to do the basics.
1, either do a compression test to confirm Valves/timing or remove the valve cover to visually inspect. or get a Vag-com and pull codes, either a crank sensor or a cam sensor will cause it to shut down.
2 You can also check for spark to confirm it's not electrical and of course
3. check for fuel,either remove injectors or just crack the nut on the fuel rail to see if you are getting fuel.

but if you had a rattle in the engine I would start with confirming you didn't bend valves! if you remove the valve cover you can look at the tensioner, the shoe brakes and the chain goes slack, it rubs on the metal and timing goes out and it's possible valves get bent if it is run like this for long! if your lucky you can just replace the tensioner.
but if the car cranks "normal" it is probably not this so don't panic yet, if the car cranks like it always did sound normal cranking then start with checking spark and fuel first.... etc....
Old 04-25-2011, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by jschick
if you had the "rattle sound that is a sign of the timing Chain. the tensioner may have failed and you could very easily have bent valves, you will need to do the basics.
1, either do a compression test to confirm Valves/timing or remove the valve cover to visually inspect. or get a Vag-com and pull codes, either a crank sensor or a cam sensor will cause it to shut down.
2 You can also check for spark to confirm it's not electrical and of course
3. check for fuel,either remove injectors or just crack the nut on the fuel rail to see if you are getting fuel.

but if you had a rattle in the engine I would start with confirming you didn't bend valves! if you remove the valve cover you can look at the tensioner, the shoe brakes and the chain goes slack, it rubs on the metal and timing goes out and it's possible valves get bent if it is run like this for long! if your lucky you can just replace the tensioner.
but if the car cranks "normal" it is probably not this so don't panic yet, if the car cranks like it always did sound normal cranking then start with checking spark and fuel first.... etc....
Thank you again for that information.. all these helps a lot! last weekend, i checked if there's gas coming out of the injectors and there was. There was also spark from the sparkplugs. So, do you think its the timing chain? bent valves? damn! thats expensive!