A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

engine vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 05:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine vibrations

I was driving to work today and my car started running funny. The engine is louder, and it's idling rough. When I hit the gas, it will accelerate, but the car vibrates. I know this sounds similar to one of the recent posts, but my problem is different. Even in neutral, it does the same thing. Fluid levels are fine, temps are fine. Any ideas?
Old 06-08-2007, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

CEL on or flashing? Sounds like a misfire - coilpack/ICM or plugs. What engine/year etc?
Old 06-08-2007, 06:01 AM

Default Re: CEL on or flashing? Sounds like a misfire - coilpack/ICM or plugs. What engine/year etc?

Yeah sorry I left a few details out. CEL was flashing when it first started, then it just stayed on. The car is a 99 with the 1.8.

Is it safe to drive it home like this?
Old 06-08-2007, 06:42 AM
Mr Mc Feely

Default When flashing DO NOT DRIVE IT.. park it and have a service truck bring it to your dealer..

FYI flashing CEL's are bad.

Cheers,
Joel
Old 06-08-2007, 06:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default meh... don't forget it's just an idiot light. if it really is misfires, it's ok to drive a short

distance home -- out of boost, no heavy load as much as possible.

I've had about 10 coilpack failures and have either driven it to the dealer while under warranty or now to a safe location to change it out with the spare in the trunk...which I need to replace since yet another freakin' coilpack failure happened over last weekend.

My bet is his ICM is on its way out.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:56 AM
Mr Mc Feely

Default Another coilpack? sheesh. yea it's and idiot light, designed for those that don't know any better..

so unless you are a hands on kind of guy.. when its flashing, I usually suggest to take it in the shop.

I have been getting some rather odd "misfires" lately.. like quick misfires one after another under moderate load in a lower gear. I pulled the codes and saw I am running lean.. damn RC 440's

Cheers,
Joel
Old 06-08-2007, 07:32 AM

Default Can I disconnect the coil pack?

I did a little research about the coil packs. If i disconnect one at a time and the problem goes away, then whichever coil pack is disconnected is the problematic one. Is this correct?

My second question is, if I determine that one of the coil packs is bad, can I drive with the bad one disconnected? I know that obviously I would only be running on 3 cylinders, but could that cause any damage to the engine? I have about an hour or so commute home. I don't want to damage my engine, but at the same time, that's an expensive tow.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:53 AM

Default no, leave it connected. If it is a coilpack, when you remove the good ones one at time, the engine

will stumble further...telling you that it's working.

When you remove one and nothing changes, that's the bad one.

If all 4 make it stumble further, then it's probably the ICM.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:04 AM

Default yup. I have honestly lost count. This last failure was over cyl#2 and a J that I replaced with an R

I never got the coilpacks replaced by that "recall"/TSB because, for some reason, my VIN wasn't found in the database as part of it. However, I did get the notice from AoA in the mail and was part of the Class Action suit to collect around $800 for the 5 or 6 failures that qualified while it was under warranty, which most of those all happened in a row around 20k-30k.

There was a long duration in between that I only had 1 or 2.

Since then, I know that I've replaced 3 recently...in the past 6 months or so. IIRC, it was over 3, 1, and now 2. So, I guess #4 is coming up soon.

It seems to happen during the first day or two of extreme weather/temp changes whether it's really low or high. And, looking at the mileage, it seems to fall around 30k range when the weather changes quickly.

I plan to stop by the dealer tomorrow to get a new spare.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:45 AM
Mr Mc Feely

Default just insane... I should replace mine, along with 80% of the engine :P

who is your coil pack source? you must make them very happy.

Cheers,
Joel

Quick Reply: engine vibrations