A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Engine won't start after serpentine belt broke

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 01:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From memory the pulleys dont have marks and arent keyed to the end of the cams, its just a plain morse taper.

To set the timing after something like this, you need a tool to lock the camshaft itself in the correct position, you then loosen the pulleys, then with the crank at TDC you can fit the belt, engage the tensioner then tighten the cam pulleys again.

I may be wrong, or this may only apply to certain engines though.

I have to say that if you've lost compression its quite likely the head is lunched, especially if it happened at speed.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:53 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Aragorn
From memory the pulleys dont have marks and arent keyed to the end of the cams, its just a plain morse taper.

To set the timing after something like this, you need a tool to lock the camshaft itself in the correct position, you then loosen the pulleys, then with the crank at TDC you can fit the belt, engage the tensioner then tighten the cam pulleys again.

I may be wrong, or this may only apply to certain engines though.

I have to say that if you've lost compression its quite likely the head is lunched, especially if it happened at speed.
Correct...for the most part.
I'd change the belt, since it's probably damaged. Just buy the belt for now until you find out what the deal is.

Once you have the belt, you need the locking bar and crank pin to set the timing. The only mark is on the crank pulley.

STFA.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Check cam timing. Don't tear the front of the car apart. Just take the bumper off and put the nose in service position.
Engrish now a4driver not many people know what putting a vehicle in service mode is.... i watched mt techs do it every day and it stills confuses the hell out of me form time to time.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, the crank timing marks line up, which would indicate TDC. However, the #1 piston is not at the top of its bore (shouldn't it be?)...
Well, see Audi likes to call it 'TDC' which would make one believe its 'TDC of Cyl. #1' like it is for all the other cars in the world. But, no. Audi actually means 'TDC of Cyl. #3' and thus the confusion begins... The main thing is to have the crank at the timing mark and the cams lined up with the big holes facing the center of the engine and lined up with each other as shown. If you get the engine set this way, you can take a straight edge, or sting, and check that they line up. This is a rough check, however and you will eventually need the cam alignment tool. Maybe someone close to you has one, ask around.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

TDC is cyl #3... odd. Good to know though -- thanks Midniteoyl!

I'm gonna make my own cam lock tool (I'd assume a properly sized bolt will work for the crank as well?) and line up the cams by the torque plates with the larger holes toward center and see if I have any compression.

If not, I guess I'll be looking for a new head as well...
Old 08-11-2009, 12:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I lined up the RH cam and still no compression... It would appear the valves are toast. I guess I'm in the market for a new head. Does anyone have the shop manual pages for intake and head removal?

Since I'm going in this far... does anyone make aftermarket cams for these engines? Should I bother doing any port matching?