A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Engine wont start help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine wont start help!!!

i recently bought an 1996 audi a4 with 110xxx miles on it. i bought as a project car. the car i believe was in an accident and the body was fix but the parts of the engine bay still damage such as a/c lines,radiator crack bottom hose, horn missing, left bottom engine mount crack. as far as engine is intact. i start to start the car but no cranks so i check the starting system and the starter was bad so i pick up a starter from the junk yard from a 1998 audi a4 quattro automatic and then i modified with the one the car had and now works but no start. the engine turns but no starts. i replaced
fuses are ok
crankshaft sensor: no changes
camshaft sensor: no changes
module coils test ok
knock sensor are open resistence i think thats how it shoud be
i replace the ecu ad still same wont start
what can cause this problem ohhh and theres is not coolant on the engine could the cause the no starting problem here are some videos of the starting problems please help new into the audi scene!!! thanx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13cPFli37sU
Old 07-17-2011, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

another video please help thatx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVLAL...el_video_title
Old 07-17-2011, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a compression test because it doesn't sound like you have any. My guess is TB failure and valves are bent.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

i just did it this morning....i think there is no compression it all i used a harbor freid compression tester there was no pressure and i thought my gauge was broke because it was cheap but i used that for my honda too,,,i test it and the gauge works... the timing belt is not broke i dont know if it was replace or not any suggestion of how to really know if the valves are bend??? besides removing the heads?? i was thinking to do a 1.8t swap but i may keep the 2.8l get one used in case the engine is bad...i was wondering if i do the swap i would not have any issues with emissions here in illinois.. any ideas??/

here are another videos

honda del sol compression test

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lomE9vXN3es

audi a4 compression test; i test 5 of the six cylinders and samething happen nothing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiPsPDCMEyQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzEvoZb-V_o
Old 07-18-2011, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

What kind of compression tester is that? Only 100 PSI isn't enough range, and there should be a check valve to hold the higest reading. That said, I'll agree with 5v that this sounds like an engine that doesn't compress any air.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull the heads. It might be obvious that they are bent or you may have to take them to a machine shop to be looked at. Being a '96 it is probably a 12v so good used ones may not be to pricey. If just the valves are bent then you may be able to have your heads rebuilt with new valves since there are only 12 of them. The 30v gets much more pricey since there are almost 3x as many valves.

When the car got in the accident is when it probably happened. Something found it's way into the TB area and broke the belt while the engine was running. Probably why the PO didn't fix the damage once they realized the engine was junk.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No compression for sure, the heads need to come off.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another vote for taking the heads off. You will spend all day trying to F around with things and come up with other things it might be, but if you have no compression, it's a problem with either the block or the head - which you can't see with the head on. From the complete lack of compression, I'd guess valves and hope that the pistons aren't FUBAR.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

turbo510 the tester is a cheap compression test that i pick up for like 10 dollars on harbor freight something that can show me some pressure.i know its not really accurate but i used it for my honda del sol when i replaced the head gasket that was the only one they had that day. tomorrow i will remove the heads and see whats wrong.. i will post some pictures to keep update...thanx for the help!!!
Old 07-19-2011, 01:54 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Have you checked cam timing?
You'll have better luck with a leak down tester than a compression tester.

Quick Reply: Engine wont start help!!!