A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Engine wont start help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Have you checked cam timing?
You'll have better luck with a leak down tester than a compression tester.
Wouldn't a leak-down test be a total waste of time if he can't get any compression?
Old 07-19-2011, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo510
Wouldn't a leak-down test be a total waste of time if he can't get any compression?
Because you don't need to crank it you can get a lot more useful info.

This vehicle was wrecked it's possible someone just put the belt back on without aligning anything , or the woodruff key holding the crank pulley is snapped.

If you remove the valve covers and check the actual valve position rather than guessing then use the leakdown with the piston at TDC you can see and hear which valves are damaged.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I get that, but he's already cranked it and not found any compression with the cheapie tester, plus you can hear on the video the constant whirr of a non-compressing engine, which means both banks. So we already know there is damage in every cylinder, so what's the point of figuring exactly which valves are bent?
Old 07-19-2011, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo510
I get that, but he's already cranked it and not found any compression with the cheapie tester, plus you can hear on the video the constant whirr of a non-compressing engine, which means both banks. So we already know there is damage in every cylinder, so what's the point of figuring exactly which valves are bent?
I am only saying this because this car was wrecked and so it's an un-known quantity.

Valves don't have to be bent, to get no compression.

If it's way out of time, valves are open at the wrong place so no compression. Valves are mostly damaged when they are just slightly out of time not way off.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I see your point, so yeah, checking valve timing is a good first step.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok lets see so i started taking the head off but they wont come off...intake, plugs, injectors, hoses, belts, bolts are off but intake and head wont lose...first day of work will see tomorrow..i may considering just to replace the entire engine would be easier just maybe... here are some pics
Attached Images    
Old 07-27-2011, 03:18 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Did you ever check and reset the cam timing and do a leakdown test?

Looks like you are doing that head removal in the most difficult way possible. Need to unbolt the exhaust manifold or remove injectors. Did you remove the intake manifold or just unbolt it? Did you unbolt the water pipe on the back of the head.

I cringe looking at your pictures.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

i did not leakdown tested....in case is damage badly i may just replace the whole engine..but i unbolt the exhaust bolts is free..the coolant pipe on the back...injectors are free too...intake bolts are off too as well as head bolts...tb is off, the head is loose but the intake feels like is glue to the head wont let it go..i dont have a garage so im doing this in my drive way..i dont want all the parts in my drive way because one of my neighbors is always complaining about everything...drama queen!!! lol and today was raining most of the morning and i work from noon to 6pm then i got home and it started raining again....hopefully tomorrow will be a better day..
Old 07-28-2011, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Keep in mind that there are some steel roll pins that align the manifold to the heads, which may need to be knocked loose. I haven't done this job myself, but looking at it, I'd lever a piece of wood on the valve cover so that it caught the manifold in a way to lift it, and whack the free end down with a mallet. Find these pins and spray some PB, liquid wrench, etc. on them first.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

ok new updates!! i got the head assembly off... to me it seems that the valves hit the piston but piston looks fine no damage so far wil see tomorrow....i know now why the intake wouldnt come off really dumb thing i forgot four bolts on top of the intake...i know really stupid but thats sometimes how you learn the hard way!!! right??? any ways here are some pictures of the head and the pistons.. but im having problems uploading the pictures so i post them on my flickr profile here is the link

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63184884@N02/

Quick Reply: Engine wont start help!!!