A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

EPC!!! HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 09:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EPC!!! HELP!!!

Well just finished the install of my new alternator,TB,VG..... pretty darn sure I plugged everything in correctly..

I ONLY have power when my car is being jumped, radio, window, no lights though? When we disconnect the cables it loses everything except I can faintly read the clock.

I have a brand new alt and batt. I'm guessing the MAF? I've tried to read up on it but nobody gave a definitive answer.

Doesn't crank, click nothing. I checked advanced autoparts they said they can get a MAF with core for like 165$. I don't wanna buy it if I don't have to plus it'll take four days.

Ideas?

AND I don't have a vag com or the money right now AND it's 20 Degs out ( if that has anything to do with it)

Well just put in new MAF and still nothing..... EPC and Battery are only thing that comes on and the yellow triangle flashes for a sec then goes off.

The car doesn't even hold power it just dies as soon as I disconnect the jumper cables.
What am I missing?????????????

I'm dieing here guys somebodys gotta be able to help me.

Could it be a security thing?
Old 12-17-2010, 10:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

recheck the alt that has to be where the prob is
Old 12-17-2010, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I would say a bad ground, recheck the wires to the Alt. power and ground, also follow the negative cable from the battery to confirm it has good connection to the frame. also I am pretty sure their is a ground wire you would need to remove on one valve cover or the back of the head. Security will not allow the car to start but everything else should work. What year is this? if you have good bright lights then we need to look elseware. if no lights or nothing works then bad ground or loose connection.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I appreciate your help. I have a 2001 s4 but I posted in here looking for more answers.... is there an easy way to get to the alternator without putting it in service mode? I think it's the alternator but I've been working on this for over a month lack of the right tools, bad weather, money all screwed me.

My left headlight was flickering and then died before I started the TB and VCG. But my right HL works fogs aren't hooked up cuz I didn't put the bumper back on.

Radio, lights, window, air, you name it. Starter just won't turn over.

I really appreciate your help I'll try first thing tom.

Thanks.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok it was a very small clip in the back of the alternator. Thank god... started right up. but VERY loud tapping. I used 10w30 oil and it's like 30degs out.

I'm scared to keep it running but I think it just needs to warm up and let the oil flow through. I havent driven it in over a month and a half.

Any thoughts I'm pretty worried.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

ok BAM!! runs like a champ.

I got a lil tapping but I think it's kinda normal for the mileage.

Question though I have a alert symbol which looks like something shooting fluid straight up. WTF is that? oil pump?

I can't find any of the symbols online and don't have a manual.

Help would be awesome!!
Old 12-18-2010, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Relax, it's your washer fluid indicator. It's low or sensor is not hooked up/bad.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by sunnyboost
Ok it was a very small clip in the back of the alternator. Thank god... started right up. but VERY loud tapping. I used 10w30 oil and it's like 30degs out.

I'm scared to keep it running but I think it just needs to warm up and let the oil flow through. I havent driven it in over a month and a half.

Any thoughts I'm pretty worried.
Tapping is usually the hydraulic valve lifters being dirty - not wear. Try running some oil detergent for a few hundred miles and don't drive the car hard for those miles - keep the oil and detergent in till the noise goes away - then do a drain and filter change.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wow awesome thanks for the help. I let it run for awhile and tapping dwindled to very light tap that you can only hear when you put your ear to it. Should be ok considering the mileage. The valves looked shiny and clean as well as the cams.

But I have another question, I have a clicking noise that if I put my hand on a certain (I think air hose) directly on the left side of the intake manifold I can feel the actual ticking..... It vibrates through some other air hose lines. Confused because I'm pretty sure it wasn't there before I did the tuneup.

Sounds and feels like the spark from the spark plugs or fuel injector......

Is this bad? Engine light wasn't on, ran and rev'd smooth up to 3,000 rpm. Didn't wanna push it just yet....

Thoughts?
Old 12-19-2010, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may be hearing the injectors. Normal. Check engine light will require a code scanner to read/erase.

Quick Reply: EPC!!! HELP!!!