A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Ergh. Quattro + decent-at-best all season tires = fail. Note to self: Get snow tires.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default in fact.. they don't even have centre diffs..

squidx9 is usually on the 90/80 or 4kq forum, has audisport trannies.. as they came from them.. permanently locked.. search his UID: 33772 if you don't believe me.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default even more..

there's a guy "fusilier" who has a very extensive a2 replica and i quote.. "The Rally cars ran a welded up locked center all the time."

i think it's time someone learns their quattro history ;-)
Old 01-01-2009, 10:34 PM

Nokians even a/s are the quatnizle
Old 01-02-2009, 04:07 AM
Banned

Default You = Fail

Slow down if you know you are riding on less than decent tires.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:42 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Default And they were regarded as some of the most evil handling cars ever...

Why do you think the S1 had those crazy wings?

a locked center diff is not that revolutionary, all 4 wheel drives with a transfer case, like pickups, jeeps, etc, they all have no center diff.

BUT.. that doesn't make it BETTER. It's more simple to have a welded up diff, and probably stronger, since we all know that the A1/A2/S1s made way more power than the rest of the car was designed for.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default they were also some of the fastest..

and the "evil" ones you are referring to are the SportQ's.. that were only around for one year.. '84. the a1's and a2's were fine.. then they chopped the wheelbase and added a 20vt without any additional aero help and they were the devil.. the s1 got all its crazy aero body to combat that problem. it was not so much the drivetrain but that they made the wheelbase very short and the car had most of its weight in front of the front axle (engine) and most of the rest behind the rear (all the oil and water cooling).. that is what made them hairy

a locked centre puts MUCH more stress on a transmission.. if they were looking to save them from stress, they would have left it open.. those transmissions were so worked over, that was not a problem

you can't compare a truck 4wd that lacks a centre diff with a quattro with a locked or screw center.. trucks have transfer cases, no diff whatsoever, even if a quattro just has a screw in the middle and no diff.. it's still a system contained within a traditional casing without a transfer case and is still a superior system.

you guys can argue with me all you want.. the most famous audi of all time had a locked centre diff..
Old 01-02-2009, 07:36 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Um, what's the difference between a locked transfer case, and a locked center diff?

Nothing. Front and rear axles are locked together. End of story.

Audi did run an open diff on some pavement rallies.

Audi also had a boatload of power, and for a while was the only all wheel drive car in rallying. I'm not debating how great that car was, because it was, and still is. But even Stig says, today's cars are much faster in cornering than the old cars.

And, that whole left foot braking business, half of it was to keep the turbo on spool, the other half was to get the car to turn! Heck, I have to do that with my Torsen car half the time, just to get the nose to bite and get the car to stop pushing..
Old 01-02-2009, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default yes they have the same function.. but the design is much different.

a transfer case would not have fit under a b2 floorpan and is a much heavier and clumsy design.

yes WRC cars are faster through tight turns.. but you can't compare them.. the suspension on b2 cars is as simple as it comes and the newer cars are much lighter
Old 01-02-2009, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

lol.. no more of this.. we both love quattros however it may come
Old 01-02-2009, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

or go faster to clean the gene pool

Quick Reply: Ergh. Quattro + decent-at-best all season tires = fail. Note to self: Get snow tires.