A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Exhaust in the interior

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2000, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust in the interior

Since the warmer weather is here I have been driving with the sunroof open, and to my dismay, it seems to draw exhaust fumes into the cabin somehow. It is most noticable at highway speed and under acceleration (presumably when the exhaust has the most odor). Has anyone else experienced this?<p>j.lyon
Old 04-11-2000, 07:14 PM
DRC

Default I get the same thing and can't get a definitie answer from dealer as to what's going on.

I noticed it when first test driving the car (with the sunroof & windows closed) and took the service manager on a ride to see what he had to say about it. He said it was the cat converter but sure smelled like exhaust to me - and I wasn't pushing it. I'm familiar with the typical converter smell when really pushing it at high speeds near the engine's limit and it doesn't smell anything like exhaust. It has a peculiar odor all its own. The thing is with my 1.8T, you don't have to be pushing it. I can smell exhaust under moderate acceleration and especially when accelerating at highway speeds when passing, etc. It's almost embarrassing to race anyone. What can you say..."Yea, I left the guy choking on my exhaust odor." It doesn't do it under normal easy acceleration or when cruising at steady highway speeds. But punch it and you've got a cabin full of exhaust smell. Not converter...exhaust. If anyone can shed some light on this, I know those of us who are expereincing it would appreciate it.
Old 04-11-2000, 07:43 PM
JR

Default YES! There are others. I thought I was the only one. Going to dealer on Thursday...

Man, I thought I was the lone one on this issue. I posted a question about this last week and had a light response.

I called APR today to ask whether or not the chip upgrade could cause this. Meaning, as the turbo spools faster, does the car exhaust "exhaust" at an accelerated rate. It does, but it should not cause this problem. Good. At least it's not the chip - I kind of knew that all along but wanted confirmation.

I experience this smell mostly when the sunroof or windows are open. Also, you can still smell it when the A/C compressor is on. Just doesn't seem normal. It occurs under WOT or highway cruising and then accelerating.

I called the dealer today to set up an appointment. I'm concerned that a slight exhaust leak could "spill" dangerous carbon monoxide fumes into the cabin on a long journey. We will see what they have to say on Thursday. Obviously, I'll post any response.

DRC, you're right about the "cloud" of exhaust. Unfortunately, my cloud stays in the car for about 5 seconds. By the way, where did you find the "#7 white polishing compound"? I've looked everywhere. You're exhaust tips look excellent.

JR
'00 1.8T qms APR, K&N
Old 04-11-2000, 07:45 PM
JR

Default DRC, where did you find the "#7 white polishing compound for your exhaust tips?

I've looked everywhere in Houston and have not had any luck. Is the brand name #7?

Your exhaust tips look great.
Old 04-12-2000, 03:01 PM
DRC

Default Sorry about the delay in responding but the forum wasn't working last night...

I don't think the specific brand No. 7 is still in existence...at least I haven't seen it anywhere. I got mine a couple years ago. But Turtle Wax makes the exact same thing and I saw it at both Wal Mart and Auto Zone today. It comes in a round green container with a pull-off lid and was $1.74 at Wal Mart (cheapest). It says "White Polishing Compound" on the front. Same stuff as No. 7.

Have fun polishing and let me know how they turn out. After all the work and geting mine looking good, I decided to install chrome tips anyway. The stock tips look too wimpy to me...even if they DO shine. The chrome tips look great.
Old 04-12-2000, 08:21 PM
JR

Default Thank you. They look pretty smooth and shiney now with the polish I used...

but for another $2, I'll try the Turtle Wax.

I appreciate the tip about sanding the pipes. It adds a little flare to the car. It only takes a few minutes. I used a plumbers sanding tape. 180 grit I think.

JR
Old 04-13-2000, 08:54 AM
DRC

Glad I could help. Let me know what you find out at the dealer about the exhaust smell.
Old 04-18-2000, 03:43 PM

Default Re: I get the same thing and can't get a definitie answer from dealer as to what's going on.

See my posting from 4/18/00 - "Exhaust odor on acceleration explained - finally". It is your Air extraction vents...<p>j.lyon