A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Exhaust is scraping on driveway. What to do??? (long)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2001, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Exhaust is scraping on driveway. What to do??? (long)

Okay, here's the background. I live in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. Street parking is a nightmare around here.
There is a municipal garage around the corner from my apartment, where I had a monthly pass for the past several months. However the lot is locked up at night, so I do not have access to it.
Either I had to come home early (bad), park the A4 on the street (worse), or don't take the car at all, and rely on subways and taxis.

What luck! A few weeks ago I found an ad for a private garage for rent. How nice it would be to have 24 hour access to my car! :-)
And for only an extra $80/month, I jumped on the opportunity. ($200/mo instead of $120/mo.)

Here's the problem... I have an APR exhaust (v1.0) and H&R sport springs. The angle of the driveway is such that the exhaust system scrapes on the apex of the drivewy when I enter or leave the garage. I drive EXTREMELY slowly, to minimize the damage. But in going up the driveway, I am also slipping my cluch a LOT to go that slowly on the uphill.
And no matter how slow I go, there is always some metal-on-pavement contact.
I guess my first question is: how much damage am I actually doing to the car? Or at slow speeds is it not much of a problem?

My options are:
1. Go back to the muni garage, and deal with the restricted hours. I'd rather not, but that's probably my easiest choice.

2. Get rid of the springs. NOT gonna happen.

3. Get rid of the exhaust. I am looking into this. I asked a few weeks ago which exhaust systems have the most ground clearance, and all I got was a wiseass response "OEM or none at all."
Thanks a whole frigging lot!
I am considering the APR v2.0 exhaust if it offers more clearance, or possibly the Borla.
CAN ANYBODY ANSWER ME regarding ground clearance of aftermarket exhaust systems? Please.

4. A friend suggested putting blocks of wood under my rear tire when I enter or leave the garage. Sure it'll work but what an incredible inconvenience, to stop the car at the exact point where it will scrape, get out of the car, put the block under the tire, drive forward, get out of the car, and then get out of the car to retrieve the block, then get back in the car to continue what I was doing. Not a practical idea.

I've been in this garage since June 1, although my car sat for a week while I was out of town. So I've gone in and out about 5 times now (that is 10 scrapes so far).
What should I do?

Thank you,
Peter
Old 06-10-2001, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dunno.... can you lift your rear susp up a bit? that might help.
Old 06-10-2001, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If all else fails, You could try some Header Wrap around the area

Where you get the scraping, that way, it wont be a Metal pavment contact, but a Fabrick pavment contact.

Very light weight, and you dont even need alot.
Old 06-10-2001, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Have someone lay down and look under your car as you enter the driveway....

Then you (or he) can visually understand exactly what is scrapping, how much it is scrapping by, and may possibly see an easy solution.

Have you tried going in at an angle? That helps sometimes.

Will they let you pay to have it repaved? Add a little asphalt to make the angle easier?

or raise your springs slightly....
Old 06-10-2001, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

leave a block of wood there. or come in at an angle so your rear tires dont go up curb at same time