A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

expansion Valve on AC Line

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 05:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default expansion Valve on AC Line

Can someone tell me the Exact location for the Expansion valve on a 1998 Audi A4 Avant. Thanks.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wgaonman
Can someone tell me the Exact location for the Expansion valve on a 1998 Audi A4 Avant. Thanks.
The system uses a restrictor valve, which is within the high pressure pipe union just before the evaporator on the RH side of the engine compartment near the front suspension bolts.

Refer to the Bentley Workshop manual for exact details on the procedure and equipment needed to perform replacement of the accumulator, compressor and restrictor.

Has the air conditioner stopped working on your vehicle?
Old 02-20-2011, 05:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, Last summer I replaced the Condensor, Acculumator, AC Compressor and a couple of hose. The AC Compressor was from Ebay. Then I vacumed the line and charged it. After driving for a couple of days, right in the middle of winter I lost my heat. Troubleshooting it I found the Clutch of the AC Shorted, which was blowing my Heater fuse. 2 Function fuse.

I could not figure out why the clutch Shorted. The only thing I did not replace was expanision valve. If you say it is in the Hose, then I had changed the hose. The other Thing I wonder is if My Climate Control Has a problem where it told the Compressor to constantly run. Not sure why but it would do this, so Summer is coming and I need to have AC in the CAR.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wgaonman
Well, Last summer I replaced the Condensor, Acculumator, AC Compressor and a couple of hose. The AC Compressor was from Ebay. Then I vacumed the line and charged it. After driving for a couple of days, right in the middle of winter I lost my heat. Troubleshooting it I found the Clutch of the AC Shorted, which was blowing my Heater fuse. 2 Function fuse.

I could not figure out why the clutch Shorted. The only thing I did not replace was expanision valve. If you say it is in the Hose, then I had changed the hose. The other Thing I wonder is if My Climate Control Has a problem where it told the Compressor to constantly run. Not sure why but it would do this, so Summer is coming and I need to have AC in the CAR.
Unless you replaced the metal lines going to the evaporator, you still have the restrictor in place. Since you replaced the compressor, it is possible metal particles are blocking the restrictor if the compressor had excessive wear. When replacing the compressor, it is important that sufficient refrigerant oil is added to the compressor so it remains correctly lubricated.

Do you have access to a VAG-COM interface and the Bentley Manual? You should see if there are any fault codes in the module for the HVAC.