A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Experiences with ATE Power Slots? Feedback requested.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2000, 09:15 AM
CP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Experiences with ATE Power Slots? Feedback requested.
Old 02-28-2000, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I have them....what would you like to know?
Old 02-28-2000, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I use them...

I like them, but it isn't like they are the "be all, end all" for brake rotors. I use them in conjunction with ATE Super Blue and Mintex pads (red box). This set-up was better on the track than stock (lotsa fade on Summit Point with stock set-up).

Wet braking is fine, but then again I only had the "wet braking issue" happen one time with the stock brakes.

Jon
'96 A4qs<ul><li><a href="http://www.quattroclubusa.org/r/potomac">PCR-QCUSA chapter</a></li></ul>
Old 02-28-2000, 11:42 AM
CP

Default Couple of questions, just put them on this weekend...>

1) Did you heat cycle them before installation?
I did not but have read about people who have. Manual says to brake gently for first 150mi..
2) What sort of pad wear have you been seeing? Are edges of grooves cutting pads down quickly?
3) Any noticable stopping advantages? Less fade? Better pedal feel?

Andy, I believe you were the person I was collaborating with last week regarding this stuff. Put the ATE rotors on Saturday as well as Mintex all around. Additionally, bled the system and replaced with Super Blue. Talk to me Goose!
Thanks,
Cy
Old 02-28-2000, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Answers.....

<i>1) Did you heat cycle them before installation? I did not but have read about people who have. Manual says to brake gently for first 150mi..</i>

No... I didn't heat-cycle the rotors either. From what I've read, it seems like the folks that track or autocross their A4's would be more-likely to do this. For my purposes (100% street use) I don't really think that it's needed. Heck, I bet plenty of folks have autocrossed their A4's with these rotors without heat-cycling them with no ill-effects.

However, I did bed the pads into the rotors according to Mintex's instructions.

<i>2) What sort of pad wear have you been seeing? Are edges of grooves cutting pads down quickly?</i>

Honestly, I couldn't even tell you. I haven't really inspected the pads since installing them last. I have noticed some build-up of something (pad material/dirt....I'm not sure what) in the grooves of the rotors. I haven't done anything about it and I haven't noticed and problems. I suppose if I was really **** about it, I'd clean out the grooves when I washed my car....but the backside would be tough ;-)

<i>3) Any noticable stopping advantages? Less fade? Better pedal feel?</i>

Well, overall I'd say braking is improved a bit...but I probably don't push my car hard enough to really tell the difference. Also, I never experienced brake-fade with the OEM setup so I can't comment on that aspect of my current setup (Mintex RedBox pads w/ATE Slotted rotors front; Rofren pads with stock rotors on the rear)

Pedal feel seems the same to me although I have noticed a slight vibration through the pedal under braking at certain speeds. It's not a vibration like you feel when a rotor is warped. I think it has more to do with the fact that the rotor is slotted...it's almost like I can feel the slots as they pass under the pad. Mind you, this is only at certain speeds. For example, if I'm braking evenly from 60 MPH, I only notice the "vibration" when speeds get to something like 35 mph and then it stops at maybe 10 mph. These are rough approximations of the MPH based on my somewhat crummy memory. Also, I've noticed a slight "noise" under braking at approximately the same speeds...once again, I think it has to do with the slots in the rotors. Sound is very slight...kind of like a "whooshing" noise.

<i>Andy, I believe you were the person I was collaborating with last week regarding this stuff. Put the ATE rotors on Saturday as well as Mintex all around. Additionally, bled the system and replaced with Super Blue. Talk to me Goose!</i>

Yeah, I was one of the folks who chimed in...I've got the ATE SuperBlue in my A4 as well.

Andy Hedin
Old 02-28-2000, 02:04 PM
CP

Thanks Andy! Almost ran a red from work but slammed instead...stopped w/ authority!