A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Fact or Fiction (Painiting euro cars)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 05:58 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Default no, the factory does. Most body shops use harder paint.. If it flakes off, it's due to bad prep...

there is little you can to against stone chips.. no paint will take a direct hit from a rock well.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I had some respraying done by a very respected local shop...

and from what I've seen, it is definitely more prone to chipping. I assume it's the type of paint that was used. If you are repainting your front end I would think seriously about getting Stongard or Clearbra as soon as possible. I did and strongly recommend it. My bumper looks great and it's been driven for over a year of 60 mile commuting on rock-filled highways.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I was told that DuPont is more prone to chipping now. A couple years ago they went cheap...

on a flex agent and the quality of their paint really went down. The body shop I've gone to has stopped using their paint because of this and now uses a more expensive brand (can't remember the name). DuPont had to pay for resprays.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default well...

This shop used Spies-Hecker paint, which is apparently a "DuPont brand". I brought it back after a month complaining of a lot of chipping on the bumper and they repainted it. After that I sat the bumper in my apartment for a couple months to let it cure, then dropped it off at the Tint Shop in Edison to have them do a custom Stongard application.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The clear bras are the way to go, from what I've heard. I wish I had gotten one

after my last respray, but the Tint Shop in Edison is like every other fvcko I deal with and didn't call me back with a price. Plus I wasn't motivated enough. I called twice and spoke to somebody who took my information. No callbacks. I supposed my money isn't green enough. Poor business practice. If I get another respray, I'll just find somebody else and make sure it gets done.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You want Glassurit paint.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default do it if you are planning to strip down to the primier/base, if you want to just add another layer

it's very likely to be "meh" quality
Old 01-26-2006, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default or BASF R-M

BASF makes Glasurit<ul><li><a href="http://www.basf.com/corporate/news2001/newsvolkswagen041901.html">http://www.basf.com/corporate/news2001/newsvolkswagen041901.html</a</li></ul>
Old 01-26-2006, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default it's really not uncommon with these places.

Body shops, tuners, mechanics, tint places, few of them seem particularly concerned with customer service. I try to patronize the ones that do, but in the end you're going to have to be direct and forward if you want things done with the rest. I ended up speaking with the Tint Shop on several occasions figuring out scheduling.

It helped because Jeff (Silver Streakin) pointed me to the guy they have come in to do Stongard so I knew what I was going to be looking at price-wise and who I needed to talk to.

If you're still interested, shoot me an email and I'll give you the information. If you ask the right way they should pull my information and give you a quote based on that.

<a href="http://1.8t.org/~KMHPaladin/audi/stongard/">Here</a> are the pics from the installation. You can see my bumper sitting on the workbench to the left, I dropped it off a few days before so they could work on it at their convenience.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Repainted front end 1.5 years ago, here is my take...

Car was going in for some rear fender/door work (co-worker swipped me while pulling out of parking spot) so I had the front done at the same time (hood, bumper and fenders).

After 1.5 years I notice the rock chips seem to be bigger in size compared to the chips during the factory paint. My take is the paint is a harder compound and less forgiving when a rock hits it. Also it seems like I have more chips in a shorter amount of time compared to the factory paint.

Right now the car is in for paint again, this time the rear bumper as someone rolled into me at a stop light. I went to a different shop on this as they use PPG and add a "flex" compound giving the paint a little more give. I told them I might have the front painted again, but they quoted $1100.

Quick Reply: Fact or Fiction (Painiting euro cars)