A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Fair dealer profit on 2000 A4

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-1999, 12:43 PM
Bob

Default Fair dealer profit on 2000 A4

Is 5% over invoice a realistic profit for the dealer? I am currently searching to order a 00 and have only been to two dealers yet both have not moved below a 7% profit. I am from Johnstown, Pa and unfortunately have limited access to dealers being the closest one is 50 miles away. I am willing to pay the seven but looking to pay less.
Can anyone give me some figures they paid? I am looking at a 1.8T Quattro with the all-weather pkg, conv. pkg, and disc player. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-01-1999, 01:04 PM
Adam S

Default Re: Fair Dealer Profit

7% sounds a bit high. But then, the 2000's aren't even on the lot so they can ask whatever they want! A number of people have paid 4-5% over invoice (myself included) for 99.5 A4's.

I told the dealer I wanted to pay 4% over invoice which meant keeping the whole deal under 30K, including tax, license, registration and all fees. We negotiated (for about 15 minutes) and the end result was just over 4% of invoice.
Old 09-01-1999, 01:17 PM
TobyK

Check out www.carorder.com before you order from a dealer.
Old 09-01-1999, 01:21 PM
dB

Default Re: Fair dealer profit on 2000 A4

I was able to get a middle of the road 6%. I think the markup is about 12%. So I split the difference. I told them I wanted 4-5% over. Maybe this was poor negotiating skill on my part. I'm not very good at it. I tried to get a set of snow wheels thrown in, but all I could manage is getting them at cost through TireRack (5-spoke Audi look-alikes.)
Old 09-01-1999, 05:18 PM
Steve S.

Default Did you try Jim Hanna @ YBH in Philly?

He might get to 5% over...maybe lower...

Steve S.
97 2.8QM
Old 09-01-1999, 05:58 PM
PM

Default Re: Fair dealer profit on 2000 A4

I was able to get 5.5% above invoice on my 00 A4. I ended going with my local dealer for conveinence. I agreed to 1500 above invoice WAY back in June. The wait is killing me. Good luck.
PM
Old 09-02-1999, 03:59 AM
Bob

Default Re: Did you try Jim Hanna @ YBH in Philly?

Thats a little far from me. About four hours. I would like to keep it a little closer to home, but I will consider him if no-one else is in the ballpark on pricing. Thanks
Old 09-02-1999, 04:46 AM
Mark P

Default On my '00, I started at 3%

I told the salesman that I knew exactly what I wanted and it would just be a matter of dollars. We went over the options (I had the 2000 1.8T sheet from another dealer and he had not seen it yet, so when I said Xenon and SIDEGUARD, I waited for the look on his face and sure enough I got it. I nodded, and he said "They're offering an electronic package?" Time to go to the car and get my envelope of information. I come back with the stuff and show him the 2000 option sheet, while in the meantime he went to his manager and got the same sheet. I had done up a spreadsheet with the pricing from 99.5 and estimated the new options. With this I came up with an invoice price. I calculated 3% over that to be $805. I started here, he said "I'm sure my manager will probably want 5%". As he left, it was obvious to me that he had just set me up to come back and say 5%. Sure enough he did. we calculated 5% to be $1343. I said that was a little more than I expected to pay, and that was based on my prediction of the cost of the 2000, if the car costs more, then that dollar amount goes up. I suggested we settle on a $ amount instead of a %. I said $1100, the mgr came over again and said that they could do it for $1200 with $500 deposit today - (they way he said the $500 deposit was somewhat insulting, but that's his job) To get the mgr out of my face I told him that I'd have to think about that - instantly he left. Thinking for a minute, I told the salesman that I would agree to the $1200, but wanted to go over a few other things first, (refundable deposit based on criteria, no front license plate, etc)

I had later (the other day when the prices were announced) calculate that $1200 is just under 4.5%. I got most of the options on a 1.8T. Obviously if your car costs less, $1200 is a larger % (possibly the 7%?)
Old 09-02-1999, 05:18 AM
Nomad

Default 4-1/2 % over invoice - - - Pittsburgh, PA

I asked for 5% over invoice and my salesman said he could do better - - and he did.
Old 09-02-1999, 07:09 AM
PM

Default What dealer?

I am in Morgantown. I checked out a few of the dealers around Pittsburgh and eventually went with one in Clarksburg.

Quick Reply: Fair dealer profit on 2000 A4