A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

FAQ: How to adjust 2000 A4/S4 xenon lights...(more + long)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-1999, 12:13 AM
Jason H

Default FAQ: How to adjust 2000 A4/S4 xenon lights...(more + long)

I picked up my 2000 1.8TQMS with xenons on Friday, and noticed what others have posted
here and on the S4 board - that the xenons are aimed too low for spirited driving by themselves.
I decided that there must be an easy way to adjust them. I figured that even though they self
level there must be some king of "neutral" point that they would go up or down from. Well I'm
happy to say that it turned out to be very easy to do, and I'm now very happy to drive the back
roads on the xenon lows alone.

I did this after dusk with the car parked on level ground about 20 feet from a flat wall. At the
back of the light assembly there are two white plastic pieces, both are tube shaped and about
the diameter of a straw. One comes horizontally out from the light and the other vertically
intersects it, You'll see that on the top of the vertical piece is a fitting for a 6mm hex wrench, or
a phillips screwdriver. If you inspect the pieces closer you'll see that turning the top one moves
a tiny gear in the lower one, adjusting the progector housing up or down. Turn counter-clockwise
to adjust the beam up and clockwise to adjust down. After the first try i sat back in the car, and
the auto leveling adjusted the beams higher, too high in my opinion so I dialed them back a bit.
I then did two real world tests. I went to a dark road and felt like the beams were high enough to
see adequetly down the road but still intense in the foreground. I then hit a more trafficed area to
see if people would flash me, which no one did, so I'm very satisfied now. I'll try to repost this in
a couple days with some photos, but you don't really need them, its VERY easy. Note: the
passenger side light is harder to adjust because the airbox cover gets in the way, I just used a
phillips on this side. Also I discovered while standing in front of and blocking one side that the
stair-step pattern is built into the projector lens itself, and can't be adjusted. With the lights
higher though, it's no longer annoying. Hope this is helpful.

Matt or Jason - its fine with me if you want to add this to the FAQ page
Old 12-06-1999, 02:28 AM
Mark Collett

Adding to the FAQ page would be good...