A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

A few questions regarding FoliaTec brake caliper paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2002, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few questions regarding FoliaTec brake caliper paint

I just received the FoliaTec brake caliper paint kit from PPS in Canada. After shipping and isurance charges it was $60 Canadian, but only $38 US with the exchange rate. Pretty good I think. First question, how clean should the calipers be before painting? The instructions say to use the spray cleaner and a wire brush if needed. Will the calipers be shiny and smooth when properly cleaned? Second question, there doesn't look like there is enough paint for 2 coats on 4 calipers. Is only one coat needed? Is there plenty of paint or do I need to use sparingly? Thanks to all who can help me out.
Old 05-19-2002, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default some answers:

Go with the instructions and use a spray cleaner and a brush with fairly sturdy (hard) bristles. The calipers won't be shiney, but they'll be a hard metal grey(silver). I'd go with two coats (if there isn't enough, then just go to a car parts store and get brake paint, or any high temp paint (about 900 degrees). After two coats I'd follow it up with some clearcoat (high temp as well). Just spray the paint in short bursts and cover the caliper until there is enough to coat it all red (don't drown it, just coat it). Let it dry enough to be tacky, (read paints directions, should be about 20 - 40 minute) and do the second coat the same. Follow same steps with clearcoat. Let it sit, and put the wheel back on.
Old 05-19-2002, 01:27 PM

Default In my opnion...(more)

First, you should remove the caliper to eliminate the risk of getting any paint on the rotor (that would be bad for the pads). You dont need to unhook the lines, just get a support (a stool if your car is raised up, which it should be) and place the caliper on it to paint it. There should be no tension in the break line. I suggest getting a second kit. For the best look (ie shine and vibrant color), you should do two coats, and if the kit comes with a glaze, use it. If not, get one of those CLEAR (not matte) glazes that comes in a aerosol bottle and apply a thin coat when you are done. There has been controversy over this technique because some dont think the glaze can handle the brake heat. I havent had any problems.

When u clean the rotor, use steal wool to get as much rust and grime off as possible. Then wipe it down and dry it. REMEMBER TO TAKE OUT THE PADS BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING. This way you wont risk getting paint on them either.

Any more questions? I hope I could be of help.

Any other opinions on the spray glaze? Its probably not absolutely necessary.
Old 05-19-2002, 01:27 PM

grrr you beat me
Old 05-19-2002, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default :) I forgot to mention to take off the calps, but if he covers everything up nicely...

he should be fine