A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Fiasco at Premier Motorcars in New Mexico

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2001, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiasco at Premier Motorcars in New Mexico

W. Scott Jaworski
212 Hermosa NE
Albuquerque, NM 87108

Mr. Jay Miles, Service Manager
Mr. Scott Craigmile, General Manager
Premier Motor Cars
6400 San Mateo Blvd. NE
Albuquerque, NM 87109

Audi Client Relations
File #10727499

December 28, 2001

Dear Sirs:

I am writing regarding the debacle that has occurred (still occurring) with my 2001 Audi A4. As you are both well aware of the well-documented details of the current miserable situation (or if for some strange reason you are not, I have attached a detailed Service Record Addendum) my car has undergone extensive mechanical service at your fine facility.

With the confidence of a lemming just before the plunge into the abyss, I expected to pick up my perfectly repaired automobile from Southwest Collision (SWC) earlier today. After a short test drive with Manny, the owner of SWC, it became apparent that their was a vibration at idle that reminds one of a coin operated vibrating bed found in a cheap motel. Upon driving back to the SWC shop facility, the problem was quickly diagnosed as a broken engine mount. The mount was clearly cracked a ¼" open and was not covered up by any cowling. Not only was this problem visually apparent, it was easily felt in the aforementioned vibratory effect at idle.

Why this problem escaped the keen wit of the master technicians at Premier Motorcars, I cannot possibly fathom. One can only imagine that this is part of the often-mentioned "Premier Experience." I understand that this situation is only the latest in a long and storied line of problems that were discovered on my car after it left the hallowed premises of the Premier Motorcars Service Center. I have learned through careful sleuthing that the following problems were discovered on my vehicle when it was delivered with much fanfare and merriment to SWC after being "serviced" at Premier:
- The bottom motor cover (plastic) was completely left off the car
- Bolts were found to be loose or missing "all over the car, especially in the exhaust"
- A new inner wheel boot was both torn and partially left off, a (another, 3rd) new one was required to be ordered
- And lastly, our current, and I am sure not last problem, an engine mount that was clearly cracked open ¼" was uninstalled at Premier and the reinstalled on the vehicle by your "Master Audi Technicians"

So the bottom line is that I am again without my vehicle due to the complete inability of your establishment to either finish a job or to maliciously attempt to perform work incorrectly.

It is my understanding from my previous discussions with both of you fine gentleman, that it is generally assumed at Premier that customers can expect very little from your remarkable customer service.

As a matter of fact, let us revisit our discussion of November 13, 2001. If you both recall, you may not, I am sure you come across many customers that are completely frustrated with the level of customer service at Premier. If you do not, I will go back to the transcript that I have from the call. I asked you both to "personally guarantee that the work is done properly and that if (the " if" seems rather overly optimistic at this point) a problem arises it will be quickly addressed." To which of course I clearly heard a "yes" from you.

As time goes on of course I am coming across a surprising number of individuals who have had similar experiences at your current place of employment. Well I must hand it to you. You really are doing a lot for BMW and Land Rover sales in the area.

I am very unlikely to ever purchase another automobile from Premier Motorcars. In fact, the following statements illustrate my sentiment.

-Lifetime chances of dying in a bathtub: 1 in 10,455 (National Safety Council)

-Chance of Earth being ejected from the solar system by the gravitational pull of a passing star: 1 in 2,200,000 (University of Michigan)

-Chance of winning the UK Lottery: 1 in 13,983,816 (UK Lottery)

-Chance of me ever buying another automobile from Premier Motorcars: worse than any of those (And what are the chances that you could properly perform service on in it anyway?)

I really am eagerly anticipating the next CSI call from Audi. I am sure the other Audi dealers in the West will appreciate their increased access to the most in demand vehicles. Since they won't be heading to Premier.

I'll be sending this correspondence to Freeman the owner of Premier Motorcars, Audi of America and by email to some friends. I hope they share it with their friends.

I look forward to your immediate confirmation letter.

Good luck!

Scott Jaworski

Attachment.

Cc: Mr. Freeman at Albuquerque Dealership Acquisition Ltd
Audi Customer Relations

Service Record Addendum

8/23/01

2001 Audi A4 is involved in accident. I call Premier Motorcars and ask to take my car there. I am informed that Premier does not have a body shop but that they take their work to Southwest Collision. The car is towed to Southwest Collision (SWC).

8/27/01

SWC orders parts through Premier Motorcars from Audi of America.

9/1/01

SWC determines frame rails are needed for repair of A4. Frame rails ordered through Premier.

9/7/01

Frame rails arrive at Premier and are delivered to SWC. SWC discovers that one of the frame rails is wrong, i.e., there are two lefts instead of one right and one left. A right frame rail is reordered by next day air.

9/11/01

It was now determined that due to the nature of the damage that the engine would need to be removed. SWC sends the car to the Audi experts at Premier Motorcars. Premier is going to remove the engine and tow the car back to SWC so the body work can be finished. The engine removal is a two-day job.

9/27/01

Car returned to SWC from Premier with the engine removed. Apparently, it took two weeks since the A4 had to wait in line for service.
10/18/01

Frame rail arrives from Audi after being ordered by Next Day Air on 9/7/2001.

10/24/01

Jay Miles, service manager, at Premier Motorcars told me that my car will not be worked on for 10 days since the "Master Audi Technician" will be out on vacation.

10/25/01

I called Audi Customer service.

10/26/01

I called Audi Customer Service again.

10/29/01

I called Audi Customer Service again.

11/6/01

I return from vacation and drive directly to SWC to find out about my car. I was told the clutch exploded because it was left not under pressure for so long by Premier after they removed the engine. The car was at the dealer and apparently Premier had ordered the clutch.

11/8/01

I went to Premier Motorcars since I was having a real problem getting in touch with Jay Miles. I find Jay Miles and ask to see my car. We search around the lot, since he has no idea were it is and stumble upon it behind the service building. Jay Miles directly lied to my face and blamed the clutch problem on SWC. He told me that a "pin fell out" and that SWC screwed up the clutch. Both he and I know that SWC has never touched the clutch on my car since they have sent all the mechanical work to Premier. I then ask if the clutch is in. Jay Miles doesn't know. He then finds out that the clutch is in. Jay Miles then tells me that the A4 will have to come back to the dealer to have the computer reset. I leave completely frustrated.

11/13/01

I call my attorney and asked for help.

I called Premier and left the following message after several attempts to actually talk to him:

I would like to draw your attention to the nearly criminal lack of customer service that I have received.

1) I want your personal guarantee that the work is done properly and if a problem arises that it will be addressed in a professional, courteous and timely manner.
2) I expect something on your part to remedy the fact that a car, which was sold to me by your dealership, has taken four months to fix. Due in large part to:
a) delay in parts
b) waiting to be worked on by your staff
c) vacation time by your staff

11/14/01

Scott Craigmile returns my call and leaves a message. I proceed to my attorney's office and put Scott and Craig on speaker phone. In essence what occurred next was a conference call with Scott Craigmile, Jay Miles and myself.

The gist of the call was this. I read the message that I had left Scott Craigmile and reviewed the record of events concerning my car. Some highlights:

When I asked Scott and Jay if customers were supposed to suffer due to their inability to properly staff the Service Department, referring of course to the 10 day vacation of the "Master Audi Technician" when my car sat there for that time without anyone working on it. Their response was that customers are expected to bear the burden of their inability to run their business effectively. Needless to say, my attorney was aghast.

They admitted some guilt but offered nothing.

11/15/01

SWC calls me and informs me that the A/C pulley is bent and will have to be ordered. The part is ordered.

11/16/01

A/C pulley comes in and is wrong. The right one is ordered. I call Audi USA.

11/20/01

I go to SWC and get the records for when the parts were ordered. I call Audi USA again.

11/21/01

I call Audi Customer Service again.

11/27/01

My Audi A4 goes to Premier to get computers reset and start engine.

11/28/01

Premier calls SWC and tells Manny that the "timing is skipped." Estimated cost is $3000 and parts will have to be ordered. I call the insurance adjuster Robert Apodaca.

12/5/01

I called SWC. Sue at SWC told me, "Premier still has your car. Some valves are bent so they need to order parts."
I called Premier and spoke with Adam Gutman. He told me, "The parts were ordered on Monday (12/3/01). The cylinder head is off. The valves are the only things that will be damaged. It should be done by Friday."

Sue from SWC called me again. She told me that it will be late Friday before they get it back from Premier. So it will be early to mid week before they (SWC) get it back.

12/20/01

SWC called me and told me my car would be ready on Friday (12/21/01). I told them that I would be gone on vacation until next week. They assured me that my car would be detailed and waxed when I returned.

12/27/01

I call SWC from vacation. I am assured my car is ready and waiting for me. I tell SWC I will pick up the car tomorrow morning.

12/28/01

I arrive at SWC and begin inspection of my car. Manny and I take it out for a test drive. The car vibrates badly at idle. We inspect the car on a lift. Manny quickly sees the problem, a clearly cracked motor mount that was installed by Premier Motorcars.

The part is ordered and Sue at SWC tells me my car will be ready by Thursday of next week (1/3/02).
Old 12-29-2001, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

damn! what the hell happend in the first place??
Old 12-29-2001, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Be careful. I understand your anger, but the amount of sarcasm is a bit over the top....

Stick to the facts, and present them as professionally as possible. That level of sarcasm will likely only produce anger, defensiveness, and stubborness from the dealer.

Take a deep breath and reread your letter. I think you will find a less abrasive way to present your points.

Good luck. I know where you're coming from. My '96 A4 was in an accident a couple of years ago. The repair was supposed to take 2-3 weeks. Well....after SEVERAL returns to the body shop, the car is ALMOST right, and I just gave up. It took about 4 months. That's 4 months of car payments and insurance where I couldn't drive my car. It stills pisses me off!
Old 12-29-2001, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

agreed.. too much sarcasm will hurt your case.
Old 12-29-2001, 12:16 PM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Agreed. Lose the sarcasm. It will only **** them off, they'll be insulted by it.........

Clever, funny, and well written, but that is not your objective here.
Old 12-29-2001, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I disagree... the letter is perfect...

There's no chance in hell that these bozos can expect olebridgers return business and they also know that he has retained an attorney. They have shown that the repairs cannot be completed competently. The letter SHOULD go to both the folks at the dealership and AOA. If the dealership decides to act childish and screw up something else (don't see how they could) then it'll be an even bigger settlement.

I don't think this is the first attempt to make amends... as a scorched earth letter, which is the author's intent as I read it, it's perfect.
Old 12-29-2001, 12:24 PM

Holy $hit!
Old 12-29-2001, 01:27 PM

haha, um, i think you might make them cry
Old 12-29-2001, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Except for the grammatical error... "their" vs. "there."
Old 12-30-2001, 02:18 PM

Default Re: Fiasco at Premier Motorcars in New Mexico

What happened? My car was struck on the right passenger side in front of the front wheel. The damages are over $10,000 at this point. I have incurred thousands in rental car bills since my rental coverage had a thousand dollar limit.

Thanks for the input on the letter. You have no idea the amount of frustration I have been dealing with because of the Premier Motorcars' three ring circus. It just felt sooo good to let a little steam off. Hopefully, I will get car back someday. Also, I wanted to try to warn any unsuspecting New Mexican Audi owners what they are in for.