A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Final answer on A4 in the snow with the Dunlop SP 8000.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-1999, 07:06 AM
Corey

Default Final answer on A4 in the snow with the Dunlop SP 8000.

I read post every day of people complaining that the A4 doesn't go as good as other cars in the snow. The main problem is with the tires. If you take a good look at the tires you'll notice that all of your tread blocks are solid.(no M+S rating) This is great for high proformace driving. This places more rubber on the road and prevents flexing of the tread blocks. Another point is that it is important for the rubber to stay pliable. Snow tires will stay softer in extreem low temperatures unlike a high proformance tire. You have to understand that this type of tire isn't offered on many of todays cars because they WILL NOT go good in the winter. Subaru doesn't even offer a comparable tire on any of its cars. The tires on a Chevy Camaro doesn't even come with such high proformance tires. GM and Chrysler save these tires for cars such as a Corvette and Viper. The only reason you car goes in the snow is because of quattro and traction control. I just replaced my Dunlops SP8000s with Dunlop Graspic HS2s and the diffrence is day and night. Go get some snow tires or at least all season tires with a M+S rating!<p>For the Subaru vs Audi in the snow debate you have to look at the AWD systems. If anyone says the systems are "simmilar" then they are wrong. There is a big diffrence in Viscous(liquid) and Quattro(mechanical) systems. The diffrence in the snow is because of the way torque is distributed. Audi puts more power to the rear wheels. This causes the rear tires to brake loose faster and slide more. This is the same principle why RWD cars are more often race cars. When your rear end slides outwards slightly you find yourself looking more in the direction you want to go. Therefore Quattro will outpreform Subaru Viscous on any racetrack. Half of you are most likely saying that a WRX will smoke a A4. True, but that AWD system puts more power to the rear wheels than the traditional impreza/legacy setup.<br> The bottom line is that an Audi Quattro is more geared for sport than a Subaru. This makes the A4 more of a drivers car and the Legacy less of one, but more confidance inspiring in really bad weather.<p>Hope I helped some,<p>Corey<br>
Old 01-16-1999, 07:53 AM
evlfred

Default I beg to differ

You stated that a legacy is more stable in inclament conditions, because of the AWD system. This is not so at all. We sell both brands here at our dealership here id Idaho, were it snows quite a bit. Jackson Hole Wy is one of our big markets, and we sell alot of Subaru and Audi product to people from there. If both cars were outfitted with the same tire, I would take Quattro anyday. Subaru does a good job, however Quattro has much more flexability in the portion of power supplied front or rear. It also includes EDL (electronic diff locking) traction control to most of us, which Subaru doesn't. I've driven both many times so I can judge both fairly. I have owned Subarus and the quattro IS better, unless you are running Z rated tires, of course. Also, Quattro does not have any type of rear bais, running straight down the road it has a 50/50 split. Subaru has a 50/50 split in the automatics and a 70f/30r split in the manual and can only goto 50/50 with the manual trans. Audi can do 90/10 in either direction. The New Outback next year will start shipping with a rear limited slip diff, which will help a little.<p><br>Monte McCall<br>B.A. Wackerli Co<br>VW Audi Isuzu Subaru
Old 01-16-1999, 08:23 AM
john song

Default If I am not mistaken,Subaru automatic is 90/10 split not 50/50

nt<br>
Old 01-16-1999, 09:15 AM
Chris Hlubb

Default Agree completely....well almost.

I still think that my Quattro does better in the snow but it seems that people are split on this. It seems to me taht this maybe more attributed to the driver. Quattro can be incredible if you know how ot use it, I would have to say that the Subaru is geared more towards ease of use, probably in the nsow at least. Although, I think that Quattro makes high speed dry and wet driving incredible. Oh well whose to say.<br>Chris
Old 01-16-1999, 01:21 PM
Corey

Default You work at a dealership and don't know what your talking about!

Subaru isn't 50/50 it is 90/10 unless you gear down the auto THEN and only then does it lock in 50/50 distribution for low speed starting power. RTFM!<p>Bottom line is that quattro puts more power to the rear wheels and because of this it is harder for an amature driver, most likely yourself, to handle in the snow.
Old 01-16-1999, 01:27 PM
Corey

Default Re: Agree completely....well almost.

I agree, but then again we can drive. My guess is that the majority of drivers just point and shoot and wouldn't know how to powerslide would be better off in a subaru. Personally, I wouldn't want to drive a Legacy everyday, but it is a perfect car for my wife. She has even told me countless times that she would rather have a Subaru vs an Audi.<p>Corey<br>
Old 01-16-1999, 02:25 PM
Phil S

Default Re: 97, sports pkg, Goodyear RS-As are M+S rated...

I use them in the winter and they are great. My wifes 98 Outback 5 speed is not as good in snow as my Quattro and I have done side by side comparisons, same snowy day, same roads. Both are equal untill turns come into issue. I feel sure that the EDS system gives it an advantage. I have sold every type of drive system and feel the quattro is the best, and have not experienced the rear bias, or tendancy for the rear to come out.
Old 01-16-1999, 02:51 PM
Jake

Default That's typical of a car salesman to not know what he's talking about.

When I went to look for my A4 I found out that I knew twice as much as the salesman (because of this site) who helped my family and I. <br>This excludes Jim H. who seems like he is a knowledgeable car salesman.
Old 01-16-1999, 03:12 PM
JIM H.

Jake,ya had my attention for a second! =;~)
Old 01-17-1999, 08:18 AM
Thom McAn

Final Answer,huh? I thought that uNaPeRsOnAlItYdIsOrDeR always has the Final Answer.nt