A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Finally, my Garrett is installed!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-1999, 03:25 PM
Greg

Default Finally, my Garrett is installed!

Damn, so I finally got off my lazy *** and installed it today. I have no idea how long it took but I'd safely guess about 20-30 min. It took that long cause I was trying to figure out how to get that 5th screw. I just kinda pryed the fairing away a bit and then shoved the ratchet down in there. I loosened it then got a magnet and fished it out. Well, I let the new ECU do its sychronizing thing for about 6 or 7 minutes then fired that bad boy up. I took the car out for a spin with the stereo off and windows down just in case I had a finicky engine. Not a single ping or knock (knock on wood). I added about 20 miles driving around just seeing what the new chip could do. Damn, I must have had a grin on my face as wide as the car! I was going up hill in 3rd @ approx 2500RPMs and stepped on the gas and it still pulled! Can you tell that i'm impressed? (: I also had fun blowing by slow traffice uphill, including this fugly Prelude with one of those double wings. Maybe it needs it so it *thinks* it's fast. (: Anyway, if you haven't chipped your car, I say do it. You, or your smile, won't regret it. Besides, I think I'd rather fill up a tank of gas than pay a crap-load of $$ for a shrink visit (not that I've been or anything . Just my "seat-of-the-pants" impression.

Greg
99.5 1.8TQM Garrett and big *** grin (:
Old 10-03-1999, 03:29 PM
IronMike

Hey!!! I wanted to help We gotta compare our chips sometime.
Old 10-04-1999, 12:21 AM
Greg

Default Oh, sorry dude. (: Heheh

Well, I just couldn't look at the box anymore so I just did it. The install's degree of difficulty was just what I was expecting (not too easy and not too tough, whatever that means...it's 1:15am so I won't make much sense now). Anywho, I drove up PV Drive East over to the other side. I got to test the Garrett going up and the suspension going through the switchbacks after Marymount College. Man was that fun! Then I noticed something, the road right by Portugese Bend is blocked! They are building houses there! So much for the gtech testing there. (: Then I was chasing a Mustang GT all over PV Drive South, heheh. Then I turned right on Hawthorne and headed home. I'm busy this saturday morning but after that (around 12 or so) I'm free. Maybe we can meet somewhere and compare em. (:

-Greg
99.5 1.8TQM Garrett-n-stuff
Old 10-04-1999, 03:28 AM
dj

Default Re: Finally, my Garrett is installed!

Where did you get your chip?
Old 10-04-1999, 09:00 AM
Greg

From AWE in PA: 888.565.2257
Old 10-04-1999, 09:16 AM
Ed

Default Howz hwy speed passing/acceleration/power?

nt
Old 10-04-1999, 12:21 PM
Greg

Default It has all improved dramatically...

my seat-of-the-pants dyno loves it! When I want to change lanes and the space is in front of me, I just apply more lead to my right foot and off I zoom! It does take a bit for the lil K03 to spool up but other than that, it works great. I also love listening to the whir it makes. (: Whether I'm going uphill or straight (level), the power is there. I may just need to downshift but not usually. I'm afraid I may become accustomed to this amount of power and want the K04...in a neverending search for more power. (:

-Greg
99.5 1.8TQM Garrett-n-stuff

PS: If you're looking for the kind of HP and torque that you get in a 'Stang GT or similar car, don't waste your time and money. But if you just want to give the 1.8T K03 a kick in the butt for more power, go for it. Just my $0.02 worth.
Old 10-04-1999, 04:01 PM
Ed

Default Thanks

ds
Old 10-04-1999, 04:13 PM
Greg

Anytime...also feel free to email me more questions if you want.