A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

F'ing AoA, same old complaint...... timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 05:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F'ing AoA, same old complaint...... timing belt

My timing belt blew last week and I just hit 52K miles. So thanks to Audi ignorance, I might have to get some major engine work done. Still in the shop ( not giving AoA my money, so in an independent shop spedializing in Euro's ) Owner of the shop said he had to determine if my engine was a interference or non interference engine. From what I have read the 1.8T is an interference engine which means when the belt break it slaps around the valves or something like that and can cause serious engine damage. 52K miles, I mean what the ^*%$ is Audi thinking recommending that we consider changing out at 90K.

A couple of days before, I was on this site reading about this very problem experienced by someone else, so I figured I would play very safe and get the belt replaced at 60K, 30K in advance of what Audi recommends.

One wonders if this totally irresponsible recommendation is not simply a way for Audi to attempt to suck more money out of us, thinking we might only trust this kind of job at AoA.

From what I have heard Audi summarily denies any liability for their miserable recommendation.

I am very careful with my baby, have avoided chipping so far, no track and though I like to increase to a nice pace, I keep the build up tame enough.

It's a 98 and out of warranty. If it weren't for the fact that it is a 98, I would be screaming at AoA right now for this job to be warrantied. 52K miles.

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent, If your in that mileage neighborhood, word to the wize !

Salut,
P.
Old 08-18-2003, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 4 years or 60k miles is the recommendation around here

If it's a 98, you're on 5+ years.
Old 08-18-2003, 05:32 AM

Default I have not heard of anyone putting an age limit on Timing Belt....

However, should the durability of a belt be applicable to the amount of revolutions a belt endures which is more a reflection of Mileage then how long the belt has been on the car. Yes Belts don't last forever. Even so, my comments refers to the recommentdation given by Audi itself and it's obvious that it is and has been incorrect for a long time and no amendment or announcement that I know has been made by Audi that their estimate may be exagerated.

The more conservative recommendation " around here " is irrelavant to a many number of Audi owners who do not visit AW. Even I who visit AW frequently enough was not able to take advantage and am going to pay for it.

If Audi's estimate is 90K miles , then it must be that if there is also a time limit ( 5yrs etc ), then I would probably imagine the recommentation being 90K / 6yrs or something to that effect.

Not much I can do now. Just thought I would raise the issue again for the benefit of anyone out there who might be procrastinating on getting this done.

Salut,
P.
Old 08-18-2003, 05:35 AM
Banned

did the timing belt fail or the tensioner? I think there was an updated tensioner for '98s
Old 08-18-2003, 05:36 AM
Elder Member

the belt doesn't fail, the tensioner does.
Old 08-18-2003, 05:43 AM

Default Still waiting for final prognosis from shop, thanks for clarifications..

all I know so far is that the cause of my engine failure is linked to my timing belt/ tensioner. Honestly do not know the difference between the two, not a mechanic
Old 08-18-2003, 05:58 AM

Default Its still a rubber belt, and rubber is affected by time.

I wouldn't run a timing belt for more than 4 years.
Old 08-18-2003, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default So with my 99.5 with 49K I am pushing the 4 year limit...

My car is Audi Assured until 06/28/04. I assume if my timing belt goes before then it will be covered. It would probably be in my best interest to get it changed before my warantee expires thought. Agree?
Old 08-18-2003, 06:00 AM
Elder Member

Default I had a '93 90CS that tb broke on @ 45K

The mechanic said the same thing. SSomething about bending valves when it breaks. Said if thats the case I was looking at about 1 month without car. It broke while wife was driving it on freeway. Luckily the tb didnt break, just got chewed up. I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya
Old 08-18-2003, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i dunno whats covered under Audi Assured

I'd call the dealer and ask. If it's not covered, request a change. The worst they can say is no, and then just get it changed independently (or DIY).

Quick Reply: F'ing AoA, same old complaint...... timing belt