A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

finished installing Koni C/Os... wierd noises.......

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2001, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default finished installing Koni C/Os... wierd noises.......

So...... I finally freakin finish the Koni CO install. No lift, no air tools, only special tool was the cheap spring compressors that I rented from the local Kragen. I'm glad that I did it myself, but ****, what a job.
Well, after I get everything on, I get the car off jacks and bring it down and take it for a ride. Immedaitely I hear noises coming from both font fenderwells. It almost sounds like the spring (from the COs) is compressing and rubbing against something. I hear the noise when I go over the slightest of bumps. It really bugs the crap out of me considering I spent the majority of my thanksgiving break doing this install. Anyone have any ideas? Are there any little things that you are supposed to do during the install that I might of forgot about? I did the install using tech section article on replacing stock springs with aftermarket springs.
Come on, someone else has to of had this same problem. Thanks for any info.
Old 11-24-2001, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default oh yeah, and one more thing.....

When adjusting the "height collar" of the COs (on the front wheels), it revolves in the opposite direction of the spring coil. So, when i turn the height collar to adjust the height, the spring digs into the collar and produces these metal shavings (shavings coming from the collar). Not to mention this makes turning the height collar extremely hard. Is it supposed to be like this? I hope not. I've put grease in there to make it easier to move, but nothing is working, the spring is just digging farther into the height collar.
Old 11-24-2001, 09:15 PM

Default are you sure you tighten down the nut on the big rubber donutty thing

before you put that aluminum hat on? If it's not down all the way you could possibly get movement hence the noise. and did you properly seat the end of the spring (up top) to the rubber hat? If the end of the spring isn't pushing against that "stop" it could move or something like that making that noise as well.

I'll think of other things as I refresh my memory on my install.
Old 11-24-2001, 09:19 PM

Did it come with white plastic washers? mine dont make sounds...
Old 11-24-2001, 09:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Rubber donutty thing?.....

What thing are you talking about? I didnt put anything on the "height collar" before I put the spring in. Was I supposed to put on that lower rubber spring seat from the old stock shocks in? I put the top one on, but i didnt think you had to put the lower one on also. On top of that, guys here at audiworld said that you dont need to put anything between the height collar and the CO spring. Which piece are you talking about?
Old 11-24-2001, 09:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default you HAVE TO tighten the crap out of those nuts!!

i had to take my suspension (koni c.o.s) off three times to get it right. tighten until you can't tighten no more!!!!!
Old 11-24-2001, 09:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yes, it came with the white washers, but i didnt know where to put them......

I couldn't read the german instructions, so i didnt put those white plastic washers in. are they that important? where do they go?
Old 11-24-2001, 09:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default do you have a digicam? take some pics and post what you're talking about.

you have to use the black rubber donut looking thing from the oem suspension.
Old 11-24-2001, 09:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

which nuts do you have to tighten the crap out of? there's a lot of em
Old 11-24-2001, 09:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i cant take pics of mine now, but look at this pic......... (link inside)

https://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/903477.phtml

Quick Reply: finished installing Koni C/Os... wierd noises.......