A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

first impressions (long)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-1999, 09:47 PM
Wil

Default first impressions (long)

picked up my jaspis green a4 1.8TMQ today. drove it around for a couple of hours and everything is great except a couple of things. what the hell is wrong with them audi engineers? in the drivers side why are the power window controls so far back in the armrest. i have to bend my wrist down to reach the buttons. only a person with a 16" length arm can get to the buttons without having to bend and flex in weird positions. why couldn't they have placed them further up front like the passenger's. the only way i can comfortably reach the buttons is if i slide my seat all the way back, but then i can't even reach the pedals, and i sit pretty far back already. so much that if the airbag opened it'd barely reach me. other gripe is the clutch and first gear, i'm having a difficult time getting the car moving without shakes. very little throttle doesn't seem to move the car, so i have to exert more pressure. my previous car was just so much easier to work with. maybe i just need to get used to it and practice more. for some reason i didn't notice either of these problems during my many test drives.<p>besides those two problems i love the stinkin car. the color is just beautiful, and it seems to be very unique too, i have never seem one in jaspis on the streets yet. now i'm gonna take a weekend trip up to nyc just to break it in quicker.<p>ohh yeah, forgot to mention that the engine bay gets extremely hot. after driving slowly and cautiously for an hour, i got out of the car and there is a hot rush of air coming out from the front of the car. my prior car didn't do that. maybe its normal, will ask the audi technicians next week at the new owners luncheon.<p>a few questions<br>is there a coin holder which i can get installed?<br>is there anyway to make the alarm arm itself after say 60 seconds if i forget to?<br>can more functions be added to the remote? (as in 2 clicks or 3 clicks of a certain button would open the sunroof or trunk)<p>whew<br>-Wil<br>Loving my Jaspis Green A4 1.8TQM (gripes aside)
Old 05-20-1999, 10:52 PM
James R.

Yeah I hate that about the power window switches...but it's such a great car as for the heat rush...welcome to turboville...it gets pretty hot under that hood
Old 05-21-1999, 03:11 AM
Moore508

Default Re: coin holder

Yes. Clair has them that you snap into the armrest compartment. About $13.<br> I got one and it looks very "stock" (and it handy too). go to www.clair.com.<br><ul><li><a href="http://www.clair.com">Clair's Web Page</a></li></ul>
Old 05-21-1999, 03:43 AM
s. hoppe

Default Re: first impressions (long)

great observations.<p>I have the same qualms with the car. Overall i am very very happy with it. It's my first car ever. I am right out of college. <p>I have one little peeve too and that is the CD player. In most cars that i've seen the head unit displays the timing of the CD by the minutes and seconds. How come the audi head unit can't do that. I don't know if the 99.5 takes care of this but it would be nice to see audi look into this. <p>-s-
Old 05-21-1999, 04:15 AM
ALD

Default CD Timing

It really depends on the manufacture of the cd player whether you can see the track time or not. I have an aftermarket JVC Changer, and all I see is the Disc and Track number, nothing for the time. It would be a nice addition, but it is not nessicary. As for the power window switches, well, they don't bother me as much, but then again, this is my first car with power windows.<br>As for the heat under the hood, never have seen a car warm up so quickly in the winter when it was in the single digits outside.<p>ALD 1997 A4 1.8TQM
Old 05-21-1999, 04:40 AM
Mr.B

Default Funny, Volkswagen puts the switches in proper place, minor annoyance, but they did fix it!nm

nm
Old 05-21-1999, 05:45 AM
DaveL

Default Nope, wrong link...Clair is the dealer but Clair Parts Express is the parts business (link)

Clair<ul><li><a href="http://www.clair.com/parts/index.html">Clair Parts Express</a></li></ul>
Old 05-21-1999, 05:46 AM
vik

Default Don't worry about the clutch/shifter...

...you will get used to it. I had the same problems as you, and with 2200 miles under my belt I can feel the car beginning to smooth out. I don't know if it's the car changing or if I'm just getting used to it, but it's definitely getting better.<p>Coin holder: get it from Clair, like Moore508 said. I got it too, and it works great.<p>Autoarm alarm: I know that the car will lock itself after some number of minutes. If I'm not mistaken, the alarm will automatically arm also. It's in the manual. <p>Remote functions: get it reprogrammed at your dealer. You can have it programmed so that holding down the unlock will open all windows, and holding down the lock will close all windows and sunroof.<p>Window buttons: they don't bother me, probably because I sit really far back. I'm sure you'll get used to it right quick, though.<p>Glad you're enjoying the car -- I know I love mine! :-)<p><br>-vik<br>99.5 1.8tqms
Old 05-21-1999, 05:46 AM
DaveL

Check FAQ for remote reprogramming. Alarm does not auto arm.
Old 05-21-1999, 05:59 AM
DaveL

Default Maybe it's different in newer models? But...

in my '97, the door locks and alarm will automatically engage ONLY if I unlock but then don't open a door within a one minute time frame.<p>If I get out of the car and foget to lock/arm, it stays that way.<p>Is this a new 99+ feature? I would hate to have left my keys in the car and have the thing auto lock them in! yikes!<p>

Quick Reply: first impressions (long)