A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

First week with my '00 1.8T...(long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-1999, 05:07 PM
DanL

Default First week with my '00 1.8T...(long)

The car drives like a dream. The gadgets and features are incredible. I was fortunate that I got the car with all the options I wanted and only had to wait a week. The Xenon lamps really are worth the money. Overall, the car feels a lot "tighter" than all the Japanese cars I've had. I can't wait till the '00 chips are available, I NEED MORE POWER.

I got the car at Rector Motor Car in Burlingame, CA and the sales experience was very good. My limited experience with the service department has been very good as well. Hector, the service manager was knowledgable and very helpful.

The only thing about the car that is bothering me is that the door seals are making noise when the car is in motion. Perhaps the seals are just too clean. Regarding the wheels, I like them a lot better than the previous sport wheels.

Can anybody suggest a good car wash soap and wax?

'00 1.8TQMSX
Old 11-02-1999, 05:21 PM
Andy Hedin

Default Re: Car wash soap and wax....

I've been very happy with the recommendations of Car Care Specialties (website URL can be found in the "links" section.)

I use the Sonax Gloss Shampoo car wash liquid...works great for me. I like it better than the Meguiar's soap I had been using.

As far as wax goes, on a brand new car just give it a good coat of carnuba wax...I love the One Grand Blitz Wax. Goes on nice and comes off really easy. Very durable wax. Once your car gets some more miles under it's belt, you might want to consider a three step process such as:

1) Clean -- I've recently been using Meguiar's clay bar for this step which removes all paint contaminants and leaves the finish really smooth.

2) Polish -- I like 3M Imperial Hand glaze for this step. Removes minor swirls and "feeds" the paint which seems to improve the gloss and makes the paint seem "deeper".

3) Wax -- Blitz wax for me...I've used Mother's and Meguiar's in the past but I'm now a Blitz wax convert....great wax for the $$$ IMHO.

HTH,

Andy Hedin
'97 A4 1.8Tqms
Old 11-02-1999, 05:41 PM
Sebastian

Default Re: Car wash soap and wax....Thanks Andy (longish..)

Andy, you are a veritable living resource for everything Audi!! I have been diligently reading this forum ever since I "discovered" it about a month ago, and found it extremely helpful in my decision to get the Audi A4....

Anyway, I was just going to post recommendations for first car wash, etc., had the A4 2.8qms 3 weeks now needs a good bath!! And you came thru, way to go Andy, that's why I voted for your pic...

Thanks again,

Sebastian
Santorin Blue
99.5 2.8QMS
Old 11-02-1999, 07:07 PM
alan t.

Congrats on the car. Just use some silicone spray on the seals and the noise will be gone.
Old 11-02-1999, 07:56 PM
RickM

I second that vote for Blitz Wax, great stuff. Much easier to use than I expected.
Old 11-02-1999, 09:46 PM
Just 4 fun

Is that service guy 'Hector from Rector'? hahaha
Old 11-02-1999, 10:56 PM
tk2x

Default Re: First week with my '00 1.8T...(long)

I have a similar problem with the door seal on the driver's side. It starts making noise at 80-85 MPH.

As for wash, I use Zymol wash & Zymol carbon wax with a "workin' wooly" wash mitt, swimmer's towel for drying and brush for the wheels (brake dust). Works like a charm.

'00 1.8TQMSX<ul><li><a href="http://www.carcareonline.com/">Car Care Online</a></li></ul>
Old 11-03-1999, 05:56 AM
TM in PA

Default Another car wash and wax opinion (more)

Dan,
I'm very happy using the red gel Meguiar's car wash, although I have a bottle of the #00 pro line car wash stuff when the red gel is used up. The key to using this stuff is to use a lot of it. If you try to be cheap (BTDT), it doesn't work well, and the water doesn't sheet off the car.

As for wax, I'm happy using Meguiar's #9 as a polish and following up with #26. I don't use the #9 unless the paint needs it. The car looks great using just one or two coats of #26 and the good thing about Meguiar's is that it lasts for a fairly long time. Zymol doesn't last nearly as long, according to several detailers I've talked to.

I bought some Pinnacle (the shop I bought it from didn't recommend Souveran, saying it was basically the same as the cheaper one, so I bought the cheaper one) and will try it out soon. Supposed to be better than Zymol, don't know how it compares to One Grand Blitz or Sonax, as I have not seen those sold anywhere. Mail order only?

I've also heard good things about 3M waxes and I swear by their polishing compounds- they work really well, although they are fairly aggressive. I will have to see how 3M Imperial Hand Glaze compares to Meguiar's #9 as a polish.

Regards,
TM
99.5 A4 Avant 1.8TQMS
87 Nissan Pathfinder (for sale! very nice!)
88 5kcstq Avant (hopefully soon)
Old 11-03-1999, 11:19 AM
Ken L

Default How do you wash your car in the winter?

I just got my '00 A4 last week, too.
Winter is quickly approaching...what do you
guys do to clean your car / prep it for winter time?

It's too cold to be out there with a hose, isn't it? BTW, I park my car outside.

Ken