A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Fixed tie rod ends, drivetrain noise still persists.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed tie rod ends, drivetrain noise still persists.

I'm fresh out of ideas. My control arms are good and have no play. Tie rod ends are new. I just got an alignment. No play in any of the CV joints.

Sill, a squeaking/chirping noise is coming from under the passenger side of my car only when moderate torque is put on the drivetrain. It sounds just like a bird tweeting. The funny thing is, the frequency increases with wheel speed, but only when there is pressure on the drivetrain. There is NO noise while coasting or braking at high speeds. So therein lies the conundrum. The noise varies in rate with wheel speed, but only shows up when the transmission is engaged and there is pressure on the drivetrain. No noise at all while revving the engine in neutral. So it's got to be coming from somewhere past the gearbox.

Under higher torque the squeaking/chirping turns into a louder, deeper clicking/creaking like an old chest opening.

The only other things I can think of is there is some problem with the wheel bearing, the post-gearbox transmission, or some heat shield that is clattering but somehow only when there is torque on the drivetrain. But none of these options seem 100% plausible. What on god's green earth else could it be???
Old 02-26-2007, 08:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

could this be an engine mount or trans mount issue?
Old 02-26-2007, 08:08 AM

Default I don't know. I checked the two transmission mounts under the car.

They seemed fine. How many mounts are there, and where are they all located?
Old 02-26-2007, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have a similar problem

2001 A4 1.8T QMS

Although I haven't noticed that it only happens when I am on the gas (I'd guess that it also happens when I coast)

Front passenger side, defintately rotational and frequency is related to wheel speed. Happened a bit after my last brake change (over a year now). Happens more when I turn right. Sometimes it won't do it at all.

<b>What I have tried: </b>
Removed brake pads and rotor. Replaced slider pins and bushings, relubed, new caliper retaining spring. No change

I had replaced my motor mounts and transmission mounts recently. No change (so likely a dead end for you)

I recently replaced my tie rod ends and got an alignment. No change.

No play in my wheel that would indicate wheel bearing. (although this may still be a possibility)

Control arms appear fine, no squeaks when pushing down on front end.

Brake pads appear to be wearing down evenly.

<b>What I have not tried:</b>
- taking off pad and wearing down the leading and trailing edge a bit
- taking off rotor and measuring for high/low spots. Possibly sanding any high spots with Garnet sandpaper.
- Replace rotors and pads.
- Replacing swaybar links (known to get noisy)
Old 02-26-2007, 09:27 AM

Default There is a hair of play in my front passenger side wheel.

When I got an alignment, they didn't even say anything. It's a little better after my new tie rod ends, but it's still there.

But I would never think a wheel bearing would make a sound like this. Isn't a wheel bearing more of a consistent moaning instead of a clicking/chirping?
Old 02-26-2007, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Wheel bearing is more of

a whirring drone like a helicopter at highway speeds. Mine is doing that somewhat, but it may be related to the end of life on my tires.

I have seen posts where a squeak like this was related to wheel bearing.

If I were a betting man - this is where I'd put my money. (but I have been wrong before).
Old 02-26-2007, 10:19 AM
Joey T

Default Pull the wheels again

And make sure the dust sheilds are moved far away from the rotor.

Laugh at me if you will, but heed my words....

Old 02-26-2007, 10:40 AM

Default Took it out for lunch. Now the rattle exists while tranny in neutral as well.

This is the first time I have heard it in neutral.

Also, sometimes when I shift, I hear a metal on metal pinging or clinking. Something is definitely loose down there, but I can't figure out what it is.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

that is different than a rotational squeak.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:52 AM

Default The clinking while shifting is in addition to the squeak. Both are still there.

The squeak is now apparent when coasting in neutral.

It is possible that I have multiple problems. I'll have to check it out in more detail tonight when I get home from work (IF I get home from work).

Quick Reply: Fixed tie rod ends, drivetrain noise still persists.