A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

flex pipes on exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flex pipes on exhaust

I've been looking at an '01 A4 2.8 Quattro and I took it to a pre-sale inspection. The report listed it as in "great shape" but also that there is a good deal of rust on the flex pipes of the exhaust. I was told this would need to be replaced eventually, at a steep cost because apparently the catalytic convertor has to be replaced at the same time?

Should I be concerned about this car? Is this a common problem? I couldn't find it in the FAQ.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:14 AM
Banned

Default Here is my experience with flex pipes on a 2.8L:

I damaged my exhaust on a speed bump in NYC.

Flex joints were torn up and had to be replaced. My local shop welded in new ones (aftermarket) and left the catalytic converters in place.

My exhaust now has an annoying "Whistle" when I get on the gas. I am pissed to say the least seeing as my Brullen Exhaust used to sound sooo nice.

There are no leaks. We checked. It's the an "Internal" noise created by the aftermarket flex joints.

So my options are:

1) Try new after market flex joints.

2) Replace the each down pipe/flex joint/cat assembly with OEM for $$$ (I have been told $800-$900 each from Dealer)

3) Try the guys listed below and se if the assemblies they sell will kill the "Whistle".

Good luck.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default the flex pipes go WOO WOO...j/k that realy isnt cool...i get a weird sound....

under part throtle when under 13-15 psi, i think tis the wastegate opening and closing to control boost, sounds almost like an exhaust leak, wich i did have but have since repaired the crack in the test pipe flange (welded, no JB weld crap) and its much quieter, but still get the noise,a nd it goes almost completely away under WOT, wich makes me think its the wastegate opening and closing (at WOT it just closes), and my test pipe prob makes it a little more audible than in other cars.
my turbo only has 25k or so miles on it, functions perfectly, and has made the noise with the old turbo too so its not a problem.
Maybe im just listening too close?
Old 10-05-2005, 12:25 PM

Default Re: Here is my experience with flex pipes on a 2.8L:

A dealer tells me that if the flex pipes are part of the catalytic convertor then it is covered under the 8-yr Emission system warranty.

The service guys weren't sure if that was the case.