A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

FOG LIGHT QUESTIONS

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-1999, 04:27 PM
Al S.

Default FOG LIGHT QUESTIONS

I have a '00 2.8 with xenon and i dont like the look of the yellowish color of the fog lights with the bright white/purple head lights.
I was wondering if I could just change the fog light bulbs to more closely match the headlights?
If possible, can anyone recomend a good set that would match as close as possible.
thanx

Al
'00 2.8QMSCX
Old 11-23-1999, 05:15 PM
DMoore

Default Fog lights are not cosmetic! (rant)

Fog lights are for driving in the fog. They're NOT for driving around the rest of the time.

In the fog, yellow lighting actually helps to increase contrast. For a proper fog lamp you'd actually want a truly yellow lens (like in Europe) and not the yellowish bulbs we have here. But they're better than bright white would ever be in the fog.

Skiers always wear yellow goggles in snow storms (which is no different from fog) because they increase the contrast.

So there's a perfectly good reason NOT to change the color of your fog lights. And those Xenon lights are plenty bright -- you don't need to drive around with your fogs on all the time!

DMoore
'00 S4
Old 11-23-1999, 05:31 PM
larryV

Default Jahn superblues

they're cheap (I think $10-20 for a set for the fogs - H1's) They're not bluish like your xenons but they're definitely not yellow. check out the the site that sells 'em... I think PUMA.com or something like that.
Old 11-23-1999, 05:57 PM
RPF

Default I just love rants. Read them all. My turn...

Fog lights are like the requirement to use chains AND snow tires AND 4wd.......if conditions are that bad, park it or go home. Fog lights should be used as survival gear so you can safely park it or go home, not so you can drive around in the fog because your super-cool fog lights allow you to see *almost* to where your low beams would illuminate, and the rest of the driving public is damned near blind.

I live in fog country on the way north coast of California, and I'm no stranger to this stuff. Most people, even here, use fog lights as a fashion statement - saw an Outback on the way home tonight, in clear air, with the fog lights on.

Having said that, I read somewhere that the yellow color for fog lights was an old wives' tale (sorry for the non-PC misogyny). The color doesn't matter, but the beam diffusion and pattern do. It's sort of like red instrument lighting. Sometime after they stuck red lighting all over submarines and fighter aircraft and the like in WWII, it was discovered that the red didn't do diddly-squat (scientific term) to protect or enhance night vision. Ever notice every manufacturer seems to have dropped the yellow lens approach in fog lights over the past decade?

Gee, rants are fun!!!!

Bill Houston
99.5 2.8 Avant QMS
Old 11-23-1999, 06:36 PM
Stoney

Default How to drive with JUST the fog lights....

Blue light scatters more in fog, scattering back to your eyes. This is why pilots wear yellow glasses. I worked with some men who first developed consumer glasses that block the extreme blue.

But, fog lights should be used alone, not with headlights. Of course, this may not be legal, but when you are in soupy fog, the main thing is to see.

Unfortunately we need to install a cutoff switch to turn off the Xenons so the fogs can work alone. Any ideas?
Old 11-23-1999, 07:10 PM
AL S

RELAX TOUGH GUY.....i just dont like the color combo...and i didnt ask your opinion
Old 11-23-1999, 07:17 PM
What a Poser!!!

Default Re: FOG LIGHT QUESTIONS

Are you one of those characters who uses fog lights as a fashion statement and drives around with their fog lights on "all the time"? Please say "it ain't so". I suppose the next thing on your list will be purple neon lighting for your license plate.
Old 11-23-1999, 07:22 PM
Adam S

Default Fogs are also helpful during heavy rain with reduced visibility.

Good for the fog too! ;-)
Old 11-23-1999, 07:25 PM
AL S.

YEAH are you selling yours?
Old 11-24-1999, 09:18 AM
MikeM

Off topic, Bill, you got your Avant? What color is it?

Quick Reply: FOG LIGHT QUESTIONS