A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Forum advice: Dealership - whine or not to whine

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Forum advice: Dealership - whine or not to whine

I have an issue of whether or not to make a stand over the timing chain tensioner making noise on startup. I know that this is a common complaint with the AWM motor in both the VW and Audi brands, and I believe the dealership knows this as well. I have a personal stake - I want my car to be fixed - that seems to overshadow what may be best for all parties concerned.

My argument has many facets and I feel that many of these are not being addressed. Let's begin with the car: a pristine 2001 1.8 that is still under warranty with less than 21,000 miles. It still smells new. (I don't have many opportunities to pull it out of the garage.) Now the tensioner has made noise since about 5000 miles, and I have tried many times over the last three years to get this problem fixed. They would conveniently write "Can't hear any noises." I asked the service advisor, the service manager, and the tech that would be replacing the tensioner to allow me to start the car and witness the noise for themselves. They all heard it for the "first" time and agreed that it was in fact an issue that required immediate attention. I asked then if I left it this way would it do any damage, the tech said yes it surely would. The replaced the tensioner with the latest E version.

Unfortunately the tensioner noise never changed with the repairs. They then tell me that this noise is now "normal and within Audi specifications". Nothing I said would change their minds. The service writer told me that they refused to do any further work on the tensioner. I called AOA and let the issue rest until now. Last week, I brought it in for it's final service and the tensioner noise rose into the spotlight once again. Same result. - Nothing. I feel frustrated. I feel cheated.

Argument in a nut shell: 1. The noise should not exist with an engine with 20K on the clock. 2. This has been an ongoing issue for four years. (I really dislike the use of "normal and within Audi specifications" when no quantifiable means of determining this exists.) 3. I like Audi's and want to buy an A6, but now have reservations based on what I have seen. 4. I have to pay $$ to fix this myself. 5. I so enjoy the occasional confrontation. (I see it as a learning experience for my negotiating skills.)

Finally, my nutshell assumptions of the dealerships point of view: 1. They don't make a lot on warranty work. 2. The fact that Audi is faced with several engineering issues related to their turbo 1.8T and it isn't the dealerships fault. 3. They like a confrontation as much as I do. 4. They hold all the best cards in the deck. 5. They don't make enough money to care.

So with that long-winded explanation, do I draw a line in the sand and push the issue? Do I just pick up the car and pay for the repairs when needed at a later date?
Old 03-08-2005, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This sucks, you love the Audi (As you said you want another) yet who wants to be treated like that?

I wouldn't let the issue rest. I would press it harder than EVER at this point. And not to sound like the cliche upset customer, but if they're not going to take care of you, then let them know you don't think you will be buying another. Have you tried another Audi STEALership? Maybe it's a service problem within your local shop?
Old 03-08-2005, 08:11 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Default If changing the tensioner made NO change in the noise, it wasn't the tensioner.

Further, just because a bunch of people on the internet have a problem with a certain part of the car, that does not mean that is what your problem is. if it was me, I'd either find a second opionon, or, live with the noise till I can pinpoint exactly what the problem is. The fact of the matter is, these engines make a LOT of clicky, clacky and tappy noises. A loose cam CHAIN tensioner will make your car sound like a Diesel once it warms up.

Is there any way you can post a clip of the noise?
Old 03-08-2005, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I think he said the dealer never did replaced it
Old 03-08-2005, 08:21 AM
Head Cat Herder

"The replaced the tensioner with the latest E version. "
Old 03-08-2005, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

My bad.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

True. It was looked at by another dealership and the tensioner was suspect.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:28 AM
Head Cat Herder

and don't let it happen again!!!!! 8-D
Old 03-08-2005, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Ooops! Spelling error. They instead of The
Old 03-08-2005, 08:32 AM
Head Cat Herder

matters not. We knew what you meant.