A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Forum n00b: G28 sensor question

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forum n00b: G28 sensor question

Hello everyone,

I recently bought an B5 A4 off a buddy of mine, distracting me from where I used to hang out on mye28.com.

The car is a 2001 A4 1.8T, well kept, with a Revo stage 1 flash. There's 183K on the clock and we're humming along just fine....kind of.

A condition that is getting progressively worse has called me to action. I'd like to ask around and get everyone's experience with it.

Every now and then (more frequently lately) the car will stall at idle, with no forewarning of rough idle. After the stall, the car takes a while to crank and when it does, is accompanied by the EPC and in a limp in program. I can turn it off and crank it normally without the EPC sometimes. Other times, I drive it a hundred yards or so, turn it off and then it cranks and drives normally.

However, yesterday and twice today under otherwise normal driving conditions (that is, the initial stall never took place), I could feel the car briefly hesitate and noticeably jerk when cruising down the road- like it was simply trying to completely shut off under throttle.

We read codes today and 0322 showed up, pointing to the G28. We went ahead and ordered the sensor, but had no time to get underneath the car today.

So, my questions are:

1) I'm sure there's plenty experience with this code. Care to share yours?
2) Of course, rouge fluid in the sensor would be a nice low hanging fruit, but might I be staring at something mechanical on the flywheel instead?
3) Might the problem be confined to the G28? Could there be other electrical points to look at even in the absence of other symptoms or codes?

Thank you all for you time. I look forward to getting to know you all and being a regular contributor on the board. I loved my last home with the e28 crew.

-Zac
Old 08-27-2011, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zchef2k
Hello everyone,

I recently bought an B5 A4 off a buddy of mine, distracting me from where I used to hang out on mye28.com.

The car is a 2001 A4 1.8T, well kept, with a Revo stage 1 flash. There's 183K on the clock and we're humming along just fine....kind of.

A condition that is getting progressively worse has called me to action. I'd like to ask around and get everyone's experience with it.

Every now and then (more frequently lately) the car will stall at idle, with no forewarning of rough idle. After the stall, the car takes a while to crank and when it does, is accompanied by the EPC and in a limp in program. I can turn it off and crank it normally without the EPC sometimes. Other times, I drive it a hundred yards or so, turn it off and then it cranks and drives normally.

However, yesterday and twice today under otherwise normal driving conditions (that is, the initial stall never took place), I could feel the car briefly hesitate and noticeably jerk when cruising down the road- like it was simply trying to completely shut off under throttle.

We read codes today and 0322 showed up, pointing to the G28. We went ahead and ordered the sensor, but had no time to get underneath the car today.

So, my questions are:

1) I'm sure there's plenty experience with this code. Care to share yours?
2) Of course, rouge fluid in the sensor would be a nice low hanging fruit, but might I be staring at something mechanical on the flywheel instead?
3) Might the problem be confined to the G28? Could there be other electrical points to look at even in the absence of other symptoms or codes?

Thank you all for you time. I look forward to getting to know you all and being a regular contributor on the board. I loved my last home with the e28 crew.

-Zac
The Crankshaft Position sensor is a fairly common failure, when it finally does fail it will strand you.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiMick
The Crankshaft Position sensor is a fairly common failure, when it finally does fail it will strand you.
AudiMick,

Thanks for the response. Are you suggesting I replace both the G4 and the G28?

-Z