A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Found a way to eliminate minor pitting and get rid of brake dust if serious.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-1999, 08:31 AM
Warren R

Default Found a way to eliminate minor pitting and get rid of brake dust if serious.

This weekend was the first chance I could wash my car in almost a month. It's been wet on the road for that long! I clean my alloys first, and while cleaning them saw pitting (probably due to all the salt that's been on the roads). Minor, but it was there, and would not come off with brake dust remover, scrubbing, etc. Then it just came to me. Went in the house and used soft scrub. It's has a minor abrasive in it. Did'nt even have to scrub hard. Perfect! I think if others have major brake dust that stubbornly wont come off with some pitting, you might want to try this. I was completely amazed. Good luck.
Old 01-25-1999, 08:56 AM
John

Default Re: Found a way to eliminate minor pitting (YIKES!)

Sorry about the exclamation, but I think this advice warrants it. If the "pitting" truly consisted of pits on the surface of the wheel, then no amount of abrasive will remove them without first removing a LOT of paint.<p>I don't know how abrasive Soft-Scrub is, but I would be unwilling to risk the damage it might do to the wheels, particularly with repetive scrubbings.<p>What may appear to be pits may well be congealed brake dust. I don't know what will remove this but I'd do a lot of research before using aggressive chemicals or abrasives on clear-coated wheels.<p>My wheels had a good waxing with carnauba (Meguier's) before winter set in. Whenever the weather is mild enough, I use water, car-wash gel (very dilute) and a soft cotton towel. Seems to get rid of all the crud and leave the wheels looking brand new.
Old 01-25-1999, 08:56 AM
PhilJ

Default Actually...

Any paint polish would work, like Wax Shop Dark Magic, Zymol HDCleanse, or any other non- to mildly abrasive cleaner. Although Soft Scrub is probably much cheaper... Never thought of that!<p>Anyway, a good coat of wax on the wheels will help keep easier to clean...<p>-Phil