A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

front bottom seat cover

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good info! Do you happen to have the part number? Do you have the black leatherette? My drivers seat bottom is cracked/ripped badly!

-Jon
Old 07-22-2009, 10:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yep, black leatherette. Just go to genuineaudiparts.com, choose the make/model/year, and select:

Seats and tracks -> Front seat components -> Cover -> Leatherette

Then "Onyx Back". Onyx is the black color, I have no idea why they all say "back". If you click on, say, "Pad" instead of "Cover", then click on "View Illustration", you'll see a breakdown of the seat parts.

I'd like to strongly repeat that this is NOT for the faint of heart. Obviously that's not most of you since you are reading this forum in the first place, but give yourself a ton of time and make sure you have another car to make supply runs. I would have been royally screwed without both of those things. You could easily screw up the seat even more if you're not careful, since removing it is tricky business and there are several key wires that constantly get in the way.

I'll also add that it would have been 100% impossible to do this without the factory instructions that I found from repeated googling, but would be happy to PM. And even still those instructions are cryptic and incomplete, I guess the dealers just learn this stuff on their own over time. These instructions are NOT in the Bentley printed manual, it has a few steps but there are several key steps it does not have.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Seat Covers

Does anyone know of a place that sells Mini sized car seat covers?
I am not looking for anything as percise or expensive as the Newton Commercial Interior Kits. I just want something to decently cover old front seats. The seats are getting old and look quite shabby. I already have a set of better seats sitting in a garage, but will only use that when I refurbish the car at a later date. I called around to most places, but they dont stock Mini sized covers. How much do I need to pay for a reasonable set of 2 front seat covers?

Seat Covers
Online Marketing Consultant
Old 09-10-2009, 02:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Passengers

Can a decent passenger's seat bottom cover from a parted car be used to replace the driver's seat?
Old 03-17-2012, 05:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mrchicken
Original poster here, reporting back ...

I should point out that I am a complete newbie and prior to this had never done anything involving car upholstery in my life.

I ended up buying the seat cover from genuineaudiparts.com for a good price, I think it was slightly less than $200 plus shipping. I also decided to buy a VAS5094 airbag adapter from another site (can't remember where, around $20) just to be safe even though there are mixed reports about how important it is. I figured for $20 why risk ruining the whole plan if the airbag goes off.

When the cover arrived in the mail I appreciated the price a bit more ... it's a pretty finely tailored and sturdy piece of equipment, was much larger than I thought it would be, and I'm glad I got a brand new one. The leatherette color matched 100% exactly to my seat which had been manufactured in the year 2000. Impressive.

I will say that I now have a MUCH greater appreciation for why it costs so much to get this done at a service place or dealer. I'm sure that experienced upholsterers wouldn't have had as tough a time as I did but it's still got to be a very solid three to four hours of work for a seasoned professional. I ended up having the seat out of the car from Friday night to Monday morning, and probably worked on it for about seven or eight hours when all was said and done.

I won't go into the exact details but here were the biggest pitfalls and gotchas:

- To replace the bottom seat cover you have to remove the whole seat then take the back off. Just getting to that part takes a while. I lost 2 whole hours just getting off the darn plastic cap over the main seat back screws on the *inside* side of the seat. (Side further from the door.) For the life of me I can't imagine how it's possible to get that off without breaking it. I understand now how the invisible plastic plugs are "supposed" to be pushed in so the plastic barbs can pop off, but it's frigging impossible to do it perfectly. I'm convinced that stuff like this is designed to be snapped on once and then broken off and replaced with a new one next time it's put on. I did manage to get it off without breaking it, but the plugs got pretty worn down. Luckily it's on the inside and mostly covered by the seat belt clip anyway so you'd never notice.

- Don't throw the old cover away once you get it off! The new cover doesn't come with the metal rods that slip into the slots to be bound with rings to the matching rods on the padding side. You need to pry open the bent ends of the rods on the old cover and then slip the rods into the new cover and re-bend. I don't think it was just my particular cover, as the cover was in a sealed plastic package with a sticker from Germany, so it didn't seem like it could have been missing anything.

- I had no idea how involved the whole hog-ringing thing would be. I had prepared myself by reading up on replacing seat covers but none of it made any sense until I was in there doing it. I had bought a pair of hog-ring pliers but they were totally worthless as they were too large and bulky. Doing the real thing requires getting the rings into a REALLY tight spot. And those were the only pliers in the whole damn city, I called a million places! Since there was no way I was going to wait around to mail order another set of pliers, I googled around for a while (for seat cover replacement in general not Audi specific) and discovered that many people use plastic zip-ties instead. Luckily I had a bag of these lying aroung from Fry's, and they ended up working perfectly! I initially pulled a few of the ties too tight, and ended up cutting them and redoing. It also occurred to me later that the zip-ties could possibly fail if the seat ever got extremely hot and then someone jumped onto it, but I'll cross that bridge if I ever get there.

- Stretching the cover on also took a little while, it's a tight fit! Once it's on and settled in it fits perfectly but man I was stretching it for a while and had to have someone sit on it a few times, like closing a stuffed suitcase.

All in all it was far more grueling work than I ever imagined just to replace a darn seat cover. But I'm glad I saved the $300 bucks or so compared to bringing it to the dealer and now know a hell of a lot more about car seat upholstery.
I just wanted to say +1 that this is a major PITA. I am just reusing teh hog rings and using pliers to do them up. I was thinking of using zip ties, but realized there was no way those things are going to hold. I figure since I'm already 5 hours into this, I might as well "do it right" and use the hog ties. But wow... what a PITA...
Old 03-29-2012, 02:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here's a pic... It took me 10 hours, but it's done right!!!
Attached Images  
Old 03-29-2012, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperStuff
Can a decent passenger's seat bottom cover from a parted car be used to replace the driver's seat?
why wouldn't you just use the whole seat? But yes it could.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ran across this old thread of mine looking for something else ...

I thought I'd mention that four years later, the plastic zip-tie technique (to avoided the hog ring stuff) has held up perfectly, even in hot Southern California weather. It's safe to say at this point that using zip-ties is a perfectly acceptable alternative to the rings, especially if you use a fairly solid zip-tie.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mrchicken
Ran across this old thread of mine looking for something else ...

I thought I'd mention that four years later, the plastic zip-tie technique (to avoided the hog ring stuff) has held up perfectly, even in hot Southern California weather. It's safe to say at this point that using zip-ties is a perfectly acceptable alternative to the rings, especially if you use a fairly solid zip-tie.
Good info on that site and a good job replacing yours. It seems the covers are a lot more expensive these days. $333 now? Dang... My driver seat looks as bad that your cover looks like. I have a couple questions for you if you don't mind, I'll shoot you a PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:04 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Just use one of the many undamaged passenger side covers. You end up with a few extra holes on the side, but they are hidden by the center hump.