A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

front end noise nightmare...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 05:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front end noise nightmare...

I'm having a noise problem with the passenger side front wheel area. I have diagnosed and replaced front and rear bearings on this car before, so I know what kind of sound to look out for. All control arms up front are new, and I have tried rotating wheels/tires.

Here's the story:

Noticed a whirring groaning sound that increased with speed and with weight transfer to the front pass side wheel. There was also a very slight loose wobble feeling in the steering wheel that intensified when transferring weight to the pass side. My pass front CV boot had been ripped for a while, so I figured thats what the loose pop like feeling was, and I also figured it could attribute to some of the noise as well... wrong..

Anyway, I replaced the front pass axle with a reman unit from napa, as I was in a bind. (I knew I should have went with raxles) I didnt notice any change in the symptoms at all. After doing this I figured it had to be the wheel bearing. I then replaced the wheel bearing. When pulling the bearing, I noticed it was warn and the hub had a little play.

Now I have a new bearing and reman axle up front. STILL getting the same noise problem.

Could the reman axle be bad? Where do I go from here?
Old 07-24-2008, 04:49 AM

Default At this point you may want to question your diagnoses and seek professional help (Audi mechanic).

Not being a smart ***, but throwing more money/parts may be a
fruitless endeavor without a good diagnoses.

But yes, the new part(s) could be bad or you may have something
else going on related to the transmission, another bearing, etc.

Does this happen in neutral?
Old 07-24-2008, 05:07 AM

Also, replacing axle has nothing to do with wheel bearing... sounds like wheel bearing to me.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:09 AM

also sounds like hub.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Also, replacing axle has nothing to do with wheel bearing... sounds like wheel bearing to me.

Well, I replaced the axle because the outer CV was bad. I had done some research and found that bad CV joints can also create some noise problems very similar to bad wheel bearings.

At this point the only logical culprit is the hub.

I wonder if there are any writeups on hub replacement so I can see what the common symptoms are.