A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Front passenger speaker keeps blowing

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 09:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front passenger speaker keeps blowing

So I've replaced the front passenger speaker in my 99 A4 1.8T sedan 3 times, two were factory replacements and the third (and current speaker) is an infinity reference. I'm starting to hear some vibration in it that I don't like one bit. Took the door panel off, again, and tried to see if there is something touching it that might be causing the vibration and as far as I can tell there isn't. Now I know infinity makes quality stuff that shouldn't break in less then a year so I'm starting to think there might be something wrong with the door that keeps causing the speakers to blow on me. Anyone come across this before or have any input. Thanks fellow Audi lovers.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

eBahn manual has a Tech Svc Bulletin C91-04-12 that says "front midrange door speakers & rear midrange door speakers may intermittently stop working due to speaker electrical contact touching crossbar of window. condition may also be perceived as a crackling". And has the fix of applying felt strips but only shows installation instructions for the rear door speaker?!

That being said I have to do something about my passenger door lower speaker since it is so shot I can't even listen to the stereo. My dealer quoted me $219.75 just for the lower speaker - I don't think I have BOSE but that's all he shows. Can't wait to hear how much dealer will want to install. Called Cartoys but am nervous about installation quality.

Does anyone in south Denver know of a reputable car stereo store that works on Audi's?
Old 07-02-2010, 10:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

That's actually very helpful since that "crackling and intermittent sound" is also one of the problems I am experiencing. I'll take the door panel off and cover any bare connections I see, hopefully that will stop the blowing of the speakers as well.

As far as installing your new speakers, I did it all myself with a little trial an error and of course the help of the forums when ever I hit a roadblock. Installing new front speakers was pretty easy, used the existing wiring since I wasn't replacing the head unit. As far as the actually mounting in the door, that was a matter of using the mounting brackets that came with the speakers (I got them from crutchfield.com and would recommend everyone to go through them for multiple reasons) and was just careful to screw the plates to some sturdy plastic that wouldn't puncture through the interior panel. Hope this was as helpful to you as your info was for me. If you have any other questions, let me know and we can talk. (I also installed an iPod interface, satellite radio, 12inch base, 300W amp and replaced the rear speakers all on my own, so I know my stereo inside and out… literally).
Old 07-03-2010, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JEFaudi
Does anyone in south Denver know of a reputable car stereo store that works on Audi's?

Ultimate Electronics ... I can't remember the installer's name, but I think it was something like Niko ... he is really good.