A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Front Track & Chipping, is there a lot of torque steer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2001, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Track & Chipping, is there a lot of torque steer?

I'm considering purchasing a new 2002 A4 front track. I plan on chipping it. The question is how much torque steer can I expect.

Would love to hear from any of you front track owners that have chipped your car.

I know, I know, you're wondering why I would consider a front track when Audi is so famous for their Quattro. For starters, almost every car I have ever owned has been FWD, and my current car, an Integra, is front wheel drive, so why not save some money and just get a FWD A4.

The front track is lighter, which translates into slightly better performance, better gas mileage, less driveline components to wear out and ultimatley replace etc..... plus I live on the west coast where there is virtually no snow.

I'm new to this board, so no sig (hopefully soon)

Squid88...................
Old 06-27-2001, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default torque steer is very minimal in my car.

keeping it going in a straight line when you hit the gas in 1st and 2nd gear is another story.
Old 06-27-2001, 03:32 PM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Better performance from FWD??? ummmm.........

Maybe slightly faster, but performance is more than just speed. How about cornering and traction, especially in the rain or snow?

Didn't mean to flame ya, but I would suggest that you take a quattro for a spin before you decide. Quattro is the heart and soul of an Audi. Don't get me wrong, the FWD A4 is a great car, but I'm not so sure it would be my pick if I was looking for a FWD car.

In terms of torque steer, I haven't personally driven a chipped FWD A4, but I have driven a 30V V6 FWD Passat, and the torque steer was awful (IMHO). I also drove a 260 hp FWD Volve S80t6 and it was even worse.

However the FWD system on the A4 is known for being one of the most advanced on the planet, in particular for its resistance to torque steer.

So in other words, I dunno. Sorry to waste your time. :P
Old 06-27-2001, 03:34 PM

Default Initially I thought I was having some torque steer...

Turned out the problem was uneven tire pressure. Got that taken care of and haven't felt a thing like torque steer ever since! Its great with the chip, but you do get a lot of wheel spin, so you might want to go with some good sized rubber if you plan on really running her hard.
Old 06-27-2001, 03:48 PM

Default Re: Front Track & Chipping, is there a lot of torque steer?

Torque steer seems to be a tire pressure issue. I have a 2001 FWD A4 that is chipped, and seem to notice torque steer if my tires are unevenly inflated or over inflated. I have more of an issue with wheel spin, even though I have 235/40/17's. I too will look into purchasing a 2002; but it will be a Quattro!!
Old 06-27-2001, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Front Track & Chipping, is there a lot of torque steer?

Personally, I would hate to FWD...especially if you plan on taking it to the track....in a turn essentially you will have 3 wheel traction because of the way the car sways out...but yes you are correct, it will be a little faster, and your gas mileage will be better.
Old 06-27-2001, 04:42 PM

Default I drove both, and bought the FWD

The Quattro did handle better, no doubt. After 450 miles, I still find the handling, poise, balance, and comfort of the FWD to be mind-blowing. I'd probably enjoy the Quattro more on the rare occasions I could drive enthusiastically, but I definitely have no regrets...

Well maybe one. Those Quattro Celebration wheels are sweet as hell and they look easier to clean.

"I live my life one wheel cleaning at a time. For those 25 minutes, I'm free. (Then I go get more paper towels)."
Old 06-27-2001, 04:57 PM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I said before, any A4, quattro or otherwise, is a sweet car
Old 06-27-2001, 05:00 PM

Default A little more info

More peformance was the wrong wording. Sorry. I meant quicker acceleration (but only slightly I'm sure) I have driven the quattro, but how do you really test a quattro system on a sunny day with the salesman in the seat beside you.

I never plan on taking it to the track, or do any serious mods. Wheels/tires and chip is about it.

I'm just looking for a nice daily driver which is also fun to drive.

I appreciate all the feedback. Thanks
Old 06-27-2001, 05:05 PM

Default Quattro will help If

You decide to abuse your car and drop clutch at 4000 RPMS. But after launch, it will slow you down. There is also less HP to the wheels with quattro.

Mike

Quick Reply: Front Track & Chipping, is there a lot of torque steer?