A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

fuel system cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 02:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel system cleaning

Hello again, I know im probably getting so sickening to you all, but damn audi's they are amazing cars but my advice is never buy an old one lol. Mine is a 1998, drives like my 2006 hyundai tiburon but its so expensive. Anyways, I have a few questions. I dont know if im just really crazy about my cars, everyone tells me that I take it way to seriously and worry about way too much, which could be the case, but my biggest fear is breaking down on the interstate, and thats only happened once in my life time, and very scary.
Buuut anyways.
If you have read my threads, I own a 1998 Audi a4, quattro 2.8. It currently has 172,000 miles on it. I've replaced, timing belts, all belts water pump. Drive shaft, brakes, brake lines in front, all wheel berrings, tires, right passenger tie rod end, and valve cover gaskets, a cam pipe that was cracked, i think thats what it was called, it was the pipe near the valve cover gaskets that brings air into car........... And when I got my drive shaft replaced they diagnosed my whole car, checked it all out. They checked on the list that I will need future attention to my throttle body. I had no idea what that meant, and I didnt see they checked it until i'd left, and ofcorse they dont tell you anything at the dealer except pay me. lol. But I asked my dad and he said that it just means cleaning a gasket out, i dont remember the name of it, but he said its really easy. Anyways still have not done that. But I havent really mentioned this before. So here is my problem after my short story haha
Today I was going about 65, a car pulled out in front of me so I just lightly tapped the brakes let off the gas and let the car slow down to about 50, realized I needed to speed up and pushed the gas and there was this stuttering like it wanted to "stall out" or it was running outta gas, but not quite as bad because that has happend in other cars. So i decided to slow down again, at about 50mph, and really pushed the gas, because I thought maybe i'd pushed it the wrong way or too slow lol, so it did it again a few studdering noises like boom boom boom lol but not bad like breaking down or anything but pretty scary.
So this doesnt happen everyday or every week. It did it once last week and then today. Dad said to put fuel injector cleaner in it, change my air filter. Do ya think it is just my fuel filter clogged up? Or fuel injectors? It is NOT anything to do with engine, it doesnt seem like that, and it is not shifting when im doing that, its already in the last gear, and it doesnt feel like a transmission or engine thing. It seems like something to do with gas situation.
What would you do?
I have never replaced air filter, I put the middle grade gas everyday, the 89. Never changed spark plugs, but im really scared to do that on my own because when i got the valve cover gaskets replaced they said some oil leaked into spark plug area but they cleaned it out as best as they could. I dont know if that would effect the car, but that was replaced about ****, 30,000 miles ago.
Do you think fuel injector cleaner would fix this? I mean its probably not gonna happen tomorrow, or the next day who friggin knows.

Anyways im not really worried about this thing thats happening to my car, its like I said it doesnt seem like its going to brake down it just seems like it didnt get enough gas when pushing the gas, so it just goes stutter stutter and then blam drives down the road hahaha
I am sorry that I explain things like this, i know you ALL must thing im a friggin pshyco trying to imagine this girl behind her computer haha jk. but help would be appriciated.
Thank you for reading this other chapter by me.
thanks
Casey

Anything you can think of that I can do myself to help with the gas prob. thanks.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Okay so if you just read that here is a note, THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN EVERYTIME I TAKE OFF. Just did it today at a randmom time when I let off the gas ALL THE WAY. After it did it twice today one after another. I pushed that bitch to the max and it took off smooth as can be. And didnt do it again. the car drives amazing, smooth shifting, quiet engine, rattling in the tire hahaha lol that NOBODY can figure out. And then stutters once in awhile. Anyone interested in buying an audi for 5000?? LOL im just kidding the car is amazing, especially for a 1998, you wouldnt think they had that capiblilty in 1998 to make a car so nice, especially after driving all those brand new american cars. American is ****. I have learned.I am not trying to offend anyone sorry if i did.
Casey
Old 04-09-2010, 11:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

How many ppl are members and viewed this message and no reply, damn.
Im shocked hm
Old 04-09-2010, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

It could be the fuel pump. Mine quit at about 185,000 miles, so at 172,00 miles, if your pump is original, it might need to be replaced. These list at about $350 but I got a new one from "highflowfuel.com" for about $80, so far its working fine. This is unfortunately one of those things that is hard to predict when it will fail, because like an alternator, it will work great up until the moment that the electrical circuit fails. You will also want to run that fuel tank low on gas if you plan to change it, because the thing is down in the gasoline.

Maybe someone in your area can check the fault codes stored on the car's computer, with a VAG-COM equipped computer. Your car may have filed a clue as to why it did that.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by turbo510
It could be the fuel pump. Mine quit at about 185,000 miles, so at 172,00 miles, if your pump is original, it might need to be replaced. These list at about $350 but I got a new one from "highflowfuel.com" for about $80, so far its working fine. This is unfortunately one of those things that is hard to predict when it will fail, because like an alternator, it will work great up until the moment that the electrical circuit fails. You will also want to run that fuel tank low on gas if you plan to change it, because the thing is down in the gasoline.

Maybe someone in your area can check the fault codes stored on the car's computer, with a VAG-COM equipped computer. Your car may have filed a clue as to why it did that.
Hello thanks for the reply. 2 weekends ago I went to NY and changed my fuel filter on my Audi. Let me tell you that was pure hell, it was in an easy place to see it. But we had to drop the gas tank down, well undo the straps. We ended up breaking a bolt, well my dad did b/c he didnt realize it had a nut on the ohter side WTF, hes um blind in one eye, and thats my fault so whatever. But anyways the filter HAD to been from 1998 it was so friggin dirty and it was an original audi one, and we tried blowing through it and gunk came out.
So after doing this and changing my spark plugs which were so bad! They were burnt up completely. I dont know if they were even changed. They were NGK, i dont know what comes stock in an audi.
But my car is running so great now. Does not stutter anymore, hasnt done it once since then. And I get amazing gas milage now. I can go about 300 miles on a tank of gas, and it cost 28 to fill it. Not bad for a 1998.

I dont know about fuel pump im praying that doesnt go. Because that will have to be done by dealer unless its an easy task. But audi's and my dad do not mix. lol. But I can hear the fuel pump kick on sometimes, and then when I shut the car off I hear it cutting off after 1 min after turning car off. Is that normal

Im sorry I write HUGE paparagraphs everytime I talk. lol
Hopefully you've made it throught this one.
Thank you!
Old 04-25-2010, 07:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Also you said have someone check the codes? Well my cars check engine light hasnt come on only once and that was for a coolant sensor. Well will there still be codes stored even if the light doesnt come on?
Im confused. I thought the light came on then u check for codes?
It is free at advanced auto to use their machine if you didnt know.
Thanks
Old 04-25-2010, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

It sounds like you and your Dad fixed what was making the car run so bad, so the urgency of checking for codes is less now. Codes can be stored without turning the check engine light on, for instance my car came up with a fault code for a slow-responding oxygen sensor, but the light was not on. The light is supposed to turn on when something is wrong that can cause more air polution. The Advanced Auto place's scanner is likely a generic one for all cars 1996 and newer, which will find the standard government-required codes, but not others specific to VW/Audi. That's why you'll see so many references to using VAG-COM. Ask around and you'll probably find some Audi owner who'll check your car for free or a beer.

The fuel pump only runs when you turn the key to start the engine, and turns off when you turn the key off. It doesn't keep running; the sound you are hearing is an after run coolant pump, I think (mine doesn't have one).
Old 04-25-2010, 11:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default had similar problem

after a lot of searching and replacing found out that it was one of the pipes that sends the power to spark plug (the one that touches the spark plug) excuse the English.Hope this helps cheap part to replace about 25$.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

how did u make your dad blind in one eye?

Originally Posted by Csycs04
Hello thanks for the reply. 2 weekends ago I went to NY and changed my fuel filter on my Audi. Let me tell you that was pure hell, it was in an easy place to see it. But we had to drop the gas tank down, well undo the straps. We ended up breaking a bolt, well my dad did b/c he didnt realize it had a nut on the ohter side WTF, hes um blind in one eye, and thats my fault so whatever. But anyways the filter HAD to been from 1998 it was so friggin dirty and it was an original audi one, and we tried blowing through it and gunk came out.
So after doing this and changing my spark plugs which were so bad! They were burnt up completely. I dont know if they were even changed. They were NGK, i dont know what comes stock in an audi.
But my car is running so great now. Does not stutter anymore, hasnt done it once since then. And I get amazing gas milage now. I can go about 300 miles on a tank of gas, and it cost 28 to fill it. Not bad for a 1998.

I dont know about fuel pump im praying that doesnt go. Because that will have to be done by dealer unless its an easy task. But audi's and my dad do not mix. lol. But I can hear the fuel pump kick on sometimes, and then when I shut the car off I hear it cutting off after 1 min after turning car off. Is that normal

Im sorry I write HUGE paparagraphs everytime I talk. lol
Hopefully you've made it throught this one.
Thank you!
Old 04-26-2010, 12:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by juttin
how did u make your dad blind in one eye?
When I was a baby I scratched him in the eye with my finger nail. I dont remember this happening just what they told me. Crazy!!

Quick Reply: fuel system cleaning