A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

fuel system cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 12:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo510
It sounds like you and your Dad fixed what was making the car run so bad, so the urgency of checking for codes is less now. Codes can be stored without turning the check engine light on, for instance my car came up with a fault code for a slow-responding oxygen sensor, but the light was not on. The light is supposed to turn on when something is wrong that can cause more air polution. The Advanced Auto place's scanner is likely a generic one for all cars 1996 and newer, which will find the standard government-required codes, but not others specific to VW/Audi. That's why you'll see so many references to using VAG-COM. Ask around and you'll probably find some Audi owner who'll check your car for free or a beer.

The fuel pump only runs when you turn the key to start the engine, and turns off when you turn the key off. It doesn't keep running; the sound you are hearing is an after run coolant pump, I think (mine doesn't have one).
Hmm didnt know that about the codes. So if the advanced auto code reader does in fact read codes, then why would you want to use another machine. I know you said it reads specific ones for my audi. But how much much important would they really be than just standard ones. I mean is it really gonna make that big of a difference?
Well if its this after run coolant pump that you say then it must be near the back seat or the gas tank? Because for like 10 seconds after shutting car off you hear something then it clicks off. Nothing major been hapening for awhile. I've almost had my car for a year now. Just waiting for it to break down hahaha.
No audi's are amazing and i cannot wait to buy another one. I had a hyundai accent and it got to 140,000 miles and the transmission blew, that was a 2004, then it got into an accident and totaled, no not my fault. But my audi has about 175,000 miles now and it is so quiet and shifts so smoothly. Not as much power as i'd like, but it gets me there.

Does anyone have one of those VAG machines around Upstate NY? or in delaware? Just wondering.
Thank you!
casey
Old 04-26-2010, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

Someone else can help me out, but I think there is a vag finder website just for that purpose. There seems to be lots of Audi enthusists in the NE area from what I've seen. By the way, the sound from the back can't be a coolant pump, maybe door lock vacuum pump or the fuel tank vacuum pump (its not called that but it runs to check if there are any air leaks, like the gas cap off).

I know what you mean by by quiet and smooth shifts at 175K miles, mine has 192K and is damn hear silent except for wind noise.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

A VAG_COM will give you much more information than what the code checkers will do.

You also have access then to go on the forums to trace what the root cause may be.

There use to be a VAG_COM finder but I lost my links to it as it moved around when AW changed hands.

Csycs04 - codes are stored on the car and not all of them cause a light to come on in the dash. They can go a long way to diagnosis issues. Owning one is a key to learning and working on ones own car if you do not have the funds to go to a Audi dealer or initial knowledge