A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Gearbox oil in coolant

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gearbox oil in coolant

A4 2000 2.4 v6.
I hoping someone may know whats going on here. The car has leaked coolant for about a year and half which needed topping up (half a small bottle of water every 2 weeks) Recently theer was grey sludge in the coolant bottle. I was told it was the radiator and gearbox oil. The gearbox was flushed, new rad. When I stopped after a trip on the motorway there was steam from soemthing burnning coming out of engine. This steam went as high as the trees and covered a big area. That was a one off but now the cooland from being clean anfreeze has turned light brown like the colour of coffee. the texture is slightly creamy. When i swithch the car off thereis cooland burning smell and steam/smoke. Im not sure but think this may be coming from the cooland overflow. I was charged £500 and now the garage will probably try charge more, but should they of not noticed what the problem was in the first place.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PETEP
A4 2000 2.4 v6.
I hoping someone may know whats going on here. The car has leaked coolant for about a year and half which needed topping up (half a small bottle of water every 2 weeks) Recently theer was grey sludge in the coolant bottle. I was told it was the radiator and gearbox oil. The gearbox was flushed, new rad. When I stopped after a trip on the motorway there was steam from soemthing burnning coming out of engine. This steam went as high as the trees and covered a big area. That was a one off but now the cooland from being clean anfreeze has turned light brown like the colour of coffee. the texture is slightly creamy. When i swithch the car off thereis cooland burning smell and steam/smoke. Im not sure but think this may be coming from the cooland overflow. I was charged £500 and now the garage will probably try charge more, but should they of not noticed what the problem was in the first place.
No way you can get gearbox oil in the coolant.

Probably what has happened is the oil cooler between the filter and the engine has failed. A pretty common problem, looks like this.
Attached Images  
Old 07-29-2012, 11:06 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

I agree with your diagnosis, and you are technically correct about the gear oil. I assume he meant AFT rather than gear oil, which is possible but unlikely. I think it was misdiagnosed the first time.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
I agree with your diagnosis, and you are technically correct about the gear oil. I assume he meant AFT rather than gear oil, which is possible but unlikely. I think it was misdiagnosed the first time.
It's a 2.4 , motorway instead of freeway, probably from UK. They do tend to use the word gearbox for both auto and manual cars.

If ATF was inter-mixing with coolant at that rate the transmission would probably go boom first.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Audi Fans(&#128563

At the moment I am trying to learn as much about Audi 'nuances'(specifically petrol A6/S6) and have a qyestion about the gearbox oil/ATF cooler. Is this cooler as 'radiator tyre or is it a 'liquid to liquid' type similar to the engine oil cooler? Having read some posts I get the impression that it is the 'liquid to liquid' type, using the engine coolant to draw the heat from the gearbox oil/ATF?

My other questions are:

How does one differentiate between engine oil in the coolant or gearbox oil? Are they a similar colour when oil is visible in the cooling system?

Where is the gearbox oil/ATF cooler located for my reference?

I am looking at purchasing either a 2.8 V6 quattro or 4.2 V8 S6(ideally) and wonder if Audi use the same 'set up' in both those engine regards engine and gearbox cooling. I would prefer a manual 2.8 quattro but if it an 'auto' it would be good to know.

Many thanks in advance, forums like these are essential to modern day car maintenance for the DIY enthusiast..

Best

Malcolm