A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

the ghost key in the machine (long)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-1999, 03:55 PM
bob mc

Default the ghost key in the machine (long)

Okay, took my first real road-trip in the A4 (2.8qm santorin/ecru) and it was quite pleasant, until my car lost its mind.<p>I pull up to a vendor, stop the car, roll up the windows, turn off the lights, remove the key and get out. The car is boinging at me. Why is the car boinging at me? I double check everything, and nothing should be causing the boing.<p>So, I get back in, close the door, and the boinging stops. Assured that the car won't sit there and boing for the next 3 hours, I attempt to walk of, hitting the remote door-lock button.<p>....nothing...<p>The locks don't lock. The car doesn't boop at me.<p>So, I use the key, and lock it from the door (why is there no keyhole on the passenger side of the 99.5?).<p>Turns out, after much fiddling, if I take the key out of the ignition gingerly, the car still thinks it's in there. I have to pull it out quickly, with a slight twist before the car realizes I've removed the key.<p>But it's nice to know that the car does its best to keep me from locking my keys in it. Even if it is wrong, sometimes.
Old 06-21-1999, 05:11 PM
Rich L.

This is likely an issue with lubrication of the tumblers in the lock cylinder.
Old 06-22-1999, 04:34 AM
JJ-WI

Default I've got the same problem...(long)

on my month-old 2.8. There's a little piece of metal just inside the lock cylinder which is pushed out of the way when one inserts the key, and is supposed to pop back when one takes the key out. Occasionally it declines to pop back out when I remove the key when results in the 'bonging' and the inability to set the alarm which you described. I think Rich L. is right about it being a lubrication problem as it seems to act up when the weather is humid. Right now I'm torn between taking it to the dealer (my dealer's not so hot) or just trying to get a little WD-40 in there.
Old 06-22-1999, 06:35 AM
Reeder

Default I've taken mine to the dealer twice for this exact issue (more)

First time, the dealer re-lubed the ignition lock tumblers, said it looked "dry". Problem dissapeared completely for about 1 month, then started happening again & more frequently. Sometimes it would take me 10+ minutes to get out of my car b/c the lock didn't disengage!! Talk about frustrating! <p>Anyway, I took it back to the dealer and they lubed it again, this time with a "different" type of lubricant. I didn't get any specifics. They said if it happens a third time, they will replace the ignition lock assembly.<p>Thre weeks later, so far so good....<p>Good luck with yours.<p>1995.5 1.8TQM Bril Black/Onyx - Stammler-Boulder,CO
Old 06-22-1999, 07:36 AM
Shabbis

Don't use WD40, I hear it can be BAD for locks on cars.
Old 06-22-1999, 08:27 AM
DaveW

Agree,WD40 can get all over the place. A locksmith should have dry graphite powder that works well.
Old 06-22-1999, 09:49 AM
JJ-WI

ok, no WD-40; problem is in remission now; checking the archives I note that this condition can disappear spontaneously - hope that's happened