A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

GIAC from APR chip experience - There is a difference.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2000, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GIAC from APR chip experience - There is a difference.....

Well, after reading all the hype over the GIAC chip and the many (and I mean many) bad posts on the APR chip I decided to kick down the cash and get a new ECU with GIAC chip. (2000 1.8TQ)

Well, the benefits were noticed at idle, the APR chip I had would idle rough and buck up and down 200-300 rpm or so in cold weather..but roughly not smoothly. Yes it added power but not the power the idiots claimed on the phone.

So, in goes the GIAC last night. All of a sudden it idles as stock, needle is smooth as silk so I am thrilled. Then time for the drive. I would guesstimate a solid 15-20 HP advantage over the APR unit. No I do not have solid data to back this up but the GIAC chip has power over the APR chip that you can feel.

It was very hard for me not to drive over the APR'd box and crush it having wasted 5,000 miles or so driving it. Quite frankly I would not wish this chip on anyone.
Old 10-27-2000, 11:46 AM

One more thing, the pinging is unnoticeable now. With the APR is pinged like sonar.
Old 10-27-2000, 11:52 AM
CP

Default You just need to reset the ECU every few weeks...

I do it every 2 weeks. The car feels much livelier every time I reset it. This is because the adaptive software gets used to me, and everyone else, driving like a ***** in normal traffic every day. Try resetting your GIAC in a few weeks and you'll see what I mean. Definately reset before driving events at a track.
Old 10-27-2000, 11:57 AM

Default Re: GIAC from APR chip experience - There is a difference.....

While i do not have the apr chip i cannot speak of their performance however on their banner it says designed by in-house engineers. I can only wonder if they do have engineers why are their products are not performing as advertised?
If they are engineers it is obvious that they got their degrees in Mexico or via mail order.
Old 10-27-2000, 12:03 PM
e

My APR chip is doing just fine. Haven't seen "MANY" complaints
Old 10-27-2000, 12:06 PM
e

Default First of all, since you don't have any experiences with APR, you shouldn't really be bashing

Some of their staff are possess engineering and mechanical engineering degrees from Georgia Tech.
Old 10-27-2000, 12:07 PM

Default Counter-point

There is no need for personal attacks, especially since you have had no experience with APR yourself. I've been on the forum for over a year and I would say the vast majority of experiences posted here have been positive.

I have seen posts with individuals with problems with all chip-tuners including GIAC and APR.

Personally, I have had great experiences dealing with APR products and service. I started with the APR v1 chip and it was great. I have now moved to the version 3.0 chip and it is fantastic providing an incredible increase in power and a remarkable smoothness. I have had no pinging, a rock solid idle speed -- nothing but smiles.

There products do work as advertised -- just look at the majority of the posts in the archives on their stage I chips all of the way to their Stage III+ upgrades. A number of people have had problems, and that is definitely good to be aware of ... hopefully APR can take care of those problems.
Old 10-27-2000, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Pardon my frankness, but U & Srohan seem like idiots, not APR with the BS you've posted.

I've been reading on this board for a while and I certainly don't remember reading about "many complaints" as you say. And the comment by Srohan about APR guys and their degrees, you don't know anything about them nor have you had personal experiences. Keep the slander and personal attacks to yourself and talk facts. Not garbage.
Old 10-27-2000, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've experienced none of the APR problems you describe, so there's no reason for me to switch.
Old 10-27-2000, 12:24 PM

Moderators pull jokes down but let admittedly-unsubstantiated drivel like this through???

Quick Reply: GIAC from APR chip experience - There is a difference.....