A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

GIAC Mobile Tuner...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 01:29 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GIAC Mobile Tuner...

As some of you may have heard that there will be end user tuning products coming out soon, we feel it is time to introduce GIAC Mobile Tuner. GIAC has had a software package in development for several months called Mobile Tuner and our assumption is that there are other tuners with like programs in development as well. A copy of our GIAC Mobile Tuner user guide with screen captures is linked below. An alpha version of this program with the "real time" boost control feature (with automatic fuel/timing correction for your adjusted boost levels) activated will be available to GIAC customers in the next 48 hours for some engines. We will offer Mobile Tuner with boost controller free to our IBE customers until June. Additional features including adjustable speed limiters, rev limiters and fuel/timing are in development. We are conducting extensive testing and will only release these additional features when we have determined that they are not only fun, but safe for enthusiasts.

Thanks,

Andrew Ciraulo
VP Sales/Operations
GIAC

http://www.giacusa.com/giac/dealer_only/mobiletuner.php
Old 01-07-2004, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you planning to support USB port too? No RS232 here.
Old 01-07-2004, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it for DBW only?
Old 01-07-2004, 02:12 PM

Default so you are saying...

that I'll be able to fully control air/fuel, MAF, rev/speed limiters, timing all in one laptop interface....Thereby allowing me to choose my own hardware and completely tune my motor myself? its finally what I have been wishing for!

How are you going to make playing around with these parameters fail proof? To be able to home tune to the fullest degree means knowing what you are doing and risking what you are doing to your motor. I just ask to please do NOT go conserative on any part of this....

oh...how about some antilag/stutter box??
Old 01-07-2004, 02:26 PM

wanna trade for my APR? then you can sell that?
Old 01-07-2004, 02:30 PM

Default Did you read the link he posted?

<ul><li><a href="http://www.giacusa.com/giac/dealer_only/mobiletuner.php">http://www.giacusa.com/giac/dealer_only/mobiletuner.php</a</li></ul>
Old 01-07-2004, 02:33 PM

Default yes I know its just boost right now....

but he said the other stuff is in development...
Old 01-07-2004, 02:39 PM

Default It says boost can be altered within a 'safe range'.

If you select boost out of range the software sets the value at the highest level with the 'safe range'.
My instincts (note I don't have inside info) are that with APR's V tune, APR's Advanced Tune *might* be a bit more agressive and GIAC's Mobile Tuner we are talking fine tuning. It doesn't appear to me that either are offering a buy our chip and software and your ECU becomes a stand alone ...
Old 01-07-2004, 02:50 PM

Default yeah the whole...

"determined that they are not only fun, but safe for enthusiasts" quote says to me...

You can play with it a little, but we have to make it idiot proof so its going to still be super conservative....

A guy can hope can't he...*sigh*
Old 01-08-2004, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Questions:

So you would get chip performance (now adjustable)without buying a chip or would you need a GIAC chip to properly communicate?

Would the system be able to take into account things like non-K03 turbos, other FPRs etc?

My understanding of the actual specifics of engine management tuning are minimal, but with so many variables (fuel delivery/timing/boost etc.) who would this system be used by? It would either be really simple and not allow a lot of changes(good for many of us really), or designed for the 1.8T Challenge type of guys who really know their schtuff.

Quick Reply: GIAC Mobile Tuner...