A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Got a 96 a4 loaner car yesterday. Thoughts and questions (long)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-1999, 08:38 AM
kip

Default Got a 96 a4 loaner car yesterday. Thoughts and questions (long)

I have a 99.5 2.8QM (my first Audi). The loaner I got was a 96 2.8M. I thought is was pretty cool that Carousel Audi (in Minneapolis) gave me a choice between a stick and an automatic. This was my first time in any other model year and I thought I would throw in my $.02:

1) Sport Seats are a must - the loaner didn't have them and I missed them terribly.
2) Once you get used to the remote entry, it's hard to go back.
3) What is the deal with the litte tiny mirror on the passenger side? On the 99.5 both mirrors are the same size.
4) Quattro is a must. I am getting pretty spoiled having the all wheel drive.
5) Take car of your car! This loaner was obviously not loved by its owner. The engine was a dog - I was getting passed off the line by minivans! The car had 60K on it and I am sure that the car wasn't this slow when it was new. Also, the wood trim was all scratched up, the cloth on the roof was dirty and the platic was peeling off the sunroof control ****. I should note that this in no way is a poor commentary on Carousel Audi - their sevice and sales staff is great and to be honest, this loaner was a lot better that and loaner I ever got from the Dodge dealer when I drove an Intrepid.
6) QUESTION: Reguarding #5 above - why would the loaner be sooooooo slow? When I got the car out on the road, I suddenly got the cold sweats thinking that my car might someday be this much of a dog. But, I am thinking that the previous owner was the cause in this loaner. Perhaps He/She didn't drive it hard enough. Thought anyone??
7)Question #2 - the rims were the 10 spoke rims. Does this mean that it has the sport package? It didn't have the sport steering wheel.
Old 09-02-1999, 08:42 AM
BDW

Default The '96 loaner has a 12 valve V6 while yours ...

has the 30V V6. That probably would account for a lot of the difference in acceleration.

BDW '99 1.8Tqms (Wett, K&N)
Old 09-02-1999, 08:51 AM
leadfoot

Run the engine at higher rpm's and it'll respond better, 96/97 has cruddy low end torque
Old 09-02-1999, 08:55 AM
DaveL

Default Re: Got a 96 a4 loaner car yesterday. Thoughts and questions (long)

96 & 97 2.8's had the 12v V6 not the 30v that you have in your car. 172hp vs 190hp.

The smaller right side mirrors were on the A4 for all 96,97,&98 models. They finally got the bigger mirror in 99.
Old 09-02-1999, 09:01 AM
nozomi

Re: 6) I bet the previous owner didn't rev enough and always shifted at low rpm.
Old 09-02-1999, 09:02 AM
DaveL

Oh, and I'm not sure about the 10 spoke wheels...that was never a standard wheel on the A4.

As far as sport package, it was not available on the '96. Only the sport steering wheel was an option. The sport package as it exists today did not start until the '98. There was a sport package for the '97 1.8T but it did not include suspension mods, just the steering wheel, 5 spoke wheels with A/S tires, and the sport seats.

Yes, I'm an Audi GEEK!
Dave
'97 1.8TQMS Wett and other stuff
Old 09-02-1999, 10:06 AM
MattS

I got a bug for a loaner, a bright red one.
Old 09-02-1999, 10:50 AM
randall

Default I LIKE the smaller mirror. I want one for the driver's side too. Any euro takers out there?

nt
Old 09-02-1999, 11:54 AM
E-Dime

I have a '99 Audi A4 also, that was damaged in a hit-n-run accident over 1 1/2 months ago.

McDonald Audi gave me a brand new '99 Audi A6 + warm weather & sports packages as a loaner (don't want A4 back now). One week ago, I hit somebody's car myself driving the A6, and McDonald Audi gave me a '99 VW Jetta as punishment. Damn, I hate this car. At least I get my Audi back tomorrow!
Old 09-02-1999, 12:56 PM
Sameer Pandya

Default The 2.8 A6 is slow, no way around it, 0-60 in about 9.5 to 10.0 sec (more)

My dad has a 1998 A6 Quattro, with the 2.8 and the tip (30v). The car is a nice mid sized sedan that is surefooted, but its not in any way spirited. It is nice on the highway, but that's it. But, people buying a 2.8 A6 auto are not getting it for its performance, presumably they are more interested in all weather ability, comfort, smooth and quiet ride, etc (at least my dad was)

Sameer
99.5 1.8T QMS

Quick Reply: Got a 96 a4 loaner car yesterday. Thoughts and questions (long)